Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idiannajames Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Human Resources
    Hello to you, and thanks again for taking the time to view and answer my questions - this is awsome!!

I just found out I’m pregnant (Happy). I went through my employee handbook to find out what is said about maternity leave and to my surprise; there is little to nothing at all. My human resource informed me that in order to still get a pay check while I’m on leave I would have to use up my Vacation/Personal/Sick time – which combined, is probably three weeks at best…..

I would like your advice on what my next step would be? I was told to apply for New York State disability (NY SUI/SDI) – which taken from my check biweekly. I called and was told the maximum benefit is $170 a week…. I do however have short term and long term disability – would I be able to use either/both for maternity leave?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again…….
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Generally, Short, and sometimes long, term disability can be used to cover maternity leave. You need to check the provisions of those policies. While FMLA does allow you take up to 12 months and retain your job, it doesn't require you be paid during those 12 months.

You don't say how long you expect to be out. Your doctor will have to authorize when you stop working for any benefits to cover you.

Oh and Congratulations.
    idiannajames Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Generally, Short, and sometimes long, term disability can be used to cover maternity leave. You need to check the provisions of those policies. While FMLA does allow you take up to 12 months and retain your job, it doesn't require you be paid during those 12 months.

You don't say how long you expect to be out. Your doctor will have to authorize when you stop working for any benefits to cover you.

Oh and Congratulations.
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 07:26 AM
    But for it, you will have to be "disabled" So your doctor will have to note you can't work due to this, depending on your job of course most ladies can work up to the week they give birth if there are no special problems. And normally go back to work within a month. So I don't know how long you expect to be "off" but unless you have special problems, you won't be getting any disability unless you are disabled to the point you can't do any work.

The insurance and disability people do not see staying home to care for a child as a disability, So as noted unless there is some medical problem causing you not to be healthy to work, I doubt you will be receiving any disabilty payment.

And actually as you said, you were surprised to see nothing mentioned in HR manual, no this is actually the most common, Most of the companies n the US give no speical leave except for that allowed with your vacation time. And they will expect you back to work as soon as the doctor releases you to come back. Europe has much more liberal benefits for this, but the US has little to none
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2007, 07:43 AM
    One of the reasons that the US doesn't deal specifically with this, is due to discrimination issues. Since males can't take disability leave for pregnancy, the rules have to be generic. Having special rules for pregnancy discriminates against men (not saying I agree, just stating the thinking here).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 08:13 AM
    In my experience with school districts males can qualified for FMLA when their wife is out "sick." Feds still consider pregnancy as an illness.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Yes, on the FMLA they can if they have enough time on the job to qualify, and if they meet the advanced notice rules can get time off for being ith their wife, birth of a child, even adoption of a child I believe ( not sure on the adoption) but it is unpaid leave. It is the getting paid that is her issue from what I could understand from the post.
    iminlove Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Do you have a benefits coordinator or an 800 number to call for info on your benefits
    Yout shor term disability will kick in after 5 days- short term will last 5 weeks and then your long term disability can last up to 21 weeks. A doctor usually has no problem signing off on short term and long term disability to cover the 12 weeks after birth.
    The disability payments can be as low as 35%-65% of your pay-depending on the level of coverage that you have.
    FMLA is a totally separate issue as far as wages but this law ensures that you will have a job when you are ready to come back to work.
    Cheers and best of luck with your new family member!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Introduction letter for human resources recruitment company [ 4 Answers ]

Introduction letter of a human resource company

Human Resources questions [ 1 Answers ]

1. What is the Career Scope for the person working in HR. 2. What is the basic concept of Team Buildind? How it can be useful for the Development of the company? 3. If a person who is physically Disable and is working in HR Wants to go to abroad like UK,USA. Is he capable of doing so?

Pc System Resources Is Almost Gone [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! We Have A Ibm Notepad With Windows 98. It Says That Almost All The Resources Are Used Up. I Have Deleted All The Programs We Can. It Won't Scan The Disk For Errors And Took 2 Hours To Defragment And Did Not Increase The Space. I Need To Reload The Drivers For The Cdrom Because It Is Not...

View more questions Search