Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 PM
    Can I as a tenant at will give only 5 days notice to vacate
    I am a business owner renting a commercial building in RI for the past 8 months with a month to month verbal lease, nothing at all in writing. February rent is paid but as of February 26, I notified the landlord that I am leaving and will be out by March 3. Rent is due on the first of the month. Have I given proper notice to vacate to the landlord? Is it legal for him to take my security deposit and call it rent owed? Please advise... Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Since there is nothing in writing, then what governs here is what is reasonable and customary. What is customary would be at least one months notice. So, if he is withholding your security for the March rent, I believe a court would uphold that if you took him to court over it.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 01:06 PM
    No, you have not given sufficient notice. The way I read Sections 34-18.1-5 and 34-18.1-6, you would have needed to have given notice no later than February 14th in order to move out by February 28th. Since you gave notice on February 26th you would be responsible for rent until March 31st. And yes, the landlord can withhold the rent from your security deposit.

You can read the applicable laws at Chapter 34-18.1 - Index of Sections. In your situation your "term" is one month.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 09:05 PM
    Agree, you will owe for at least March

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant did not give 30-day required notice to move out, can landlord charge 30 days? [ 2 Answers ]

The month to month contract between tenant and landlord state 30-days to be given. Tenant gave 3 days notice, can the landlord charge the tenant for lost rent?

Does a tenant have to give 30 days notice before moving out [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant states that they don't have to gjve 30 days notice to move out in New Jersey claiming it is not in writing They do not have a written lease

Can a landlord give a tenant 30 days to move or does it have to be 60 days notice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have lost my house in Florida and would like to move back to California and live in my rental duplex. But there's current a tenant in there right now and he have been there for about 1 1/2 years. He have been late on his rent for the past 6 months already. So how many days of notice do I...

60 days notice to vacate [ 1 Answers ]

When is it legal in California to give a 60 day notice to vacate an apartment?

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

View more questions Search