Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbrasel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2014, 01:29 PM
    Signing over parental rights in Missouri but wants visitation now
    Family Law, Mother has signed over parental rights and now wants visitation and hopefully parental rights back in Missouri, what can be done, anything?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2014, 01:52 PM
    Exactly how did she "sign her rights away" anyhow?

Only a court can terminate them... was the child adopted?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2014, 03:52 PM
    Was the child adopted? If so then she is no longer the legal mother. If her rights were not terminated, and she just wasn't using her rights, she can go back to court to get visitation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2014, 05:23 PM
    A court is very unlikely to terminate parental rights just because a parent wants them to. Usually this is only done to clear the way for an adoption. Did you remarry and your wife adopt?

If not I suggest you read over the court papers carefully. I think you will find that her rights were not terminated, but that she just gave up custody to you without visitation. How long ago did this happen?

If she just gave up custody, she can go back to court and ask for visitation. You would need to show this is not in the best interests of the child.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 16, 2014, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    A court is very unlikely to terminate parental rights just because a parent wants them to.
    Title:Child Welfare ManualSection 4:Out of Home CareChapter 26:Termination of Parental Rights (TPR)Subsection 4:Procedures for Pursuing Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights (TPR)Effective Date:May 19, 2006

4ch26.4: Procedures for Pursuing Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) | Missouri Child Welfare Manual
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 06:42 AM
    "...
    6. A consent is final when executed, unless the consenting party, prior to a final decree of adoption, alleges and proves by clear and convincing evidence that the consent was not freely and voluntarily given. The burden of proving the consent was not freely and voluntarily given shall rest with the consenting party. Consents in all cases shall have been executed not more than six months prior to the date the petition for adoption is filed. " Section 453-030 Approval of court required--how obtaine

What this essentially means is that the mother is going to have a hard row to hoe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights in Missouri [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was awarded 50/50 visitation of his children in March of 2013. This means every other week and no child support. This was working good until his son turned 15 a few weeks ago. Now the mother has filed modification papers again stating she wants the children back full time with her and...

Signing rights over for a child in Missouri [ 0 Answers ]

My ex has attacked my wife throughout the 4 years of our marriage. She has accused both my wife and step-daughter of trying to suffocate my middle child. She has a friend in DCFS who has tried to help her with these allegations. I feel if I continue to pursue custody of my children I may lose...

Relinquishing Parental Rights in Missouri [ 6 Answers ]

I lost my dad a year ago to a heart attack and have since been trying to plan ahead for myself. Here's my issue... I've been told that if I die my children will automatically go to their sperm donor even if I have a will stating I want them with my family. I don't feel its in my children's best...

Signing over parental rights in Missouri [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I live in MO. We are married and have three children(two together, one I had in highschool). My husband is the sole provider for our children. He also, has a four year old son that he does not see. The child's mother does not allow us to see him. My husband pays quite a bit in child...

View more questions Search