Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Donald579 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2014, 08:48 PM
    How to increase my C drive Space on Windows 7?
    I recently get a low space problem with my C drive. I have tried to delete some useless files and folders. But, that makes no difference. So, I am wondering to extend my C drive space by adding some free space from E drive. There is about 97GB of free space on my E drive. Is it possible for me? How can I do that? If you know any thing, please tell me soon.
    Thank you in advance!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 10, 2014, 11:39 PM
    This can be done from the Computer Management app.
    You shrink E: and extend C:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2014, 04:53 AM
    That depends on what your E Drive is. If it is a partition on a Single hard drive, then you may be able to resize the partitions. If E is a separate hard drive, then no. Why not move some of your data files to the E drive. Or uninstall some programs and reinstall them on the E drive.

By default files are stored in your My Documents folder which is on your C Drive. You can store files on your E Drive instead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Great idea Scott, I never thought about that. I am doing that now, myself.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2014, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Great idea Scott, I never thought about that. I am doing that now, myself.
    I actually move my My Documents folder to my D partition. I generally create 3 partitions: C: OS, D: Data files, P: Programs. All programs are installed on my P drive, all data files stored on D.
    August457 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2014, 06:42 PM
    As I know, in your case, you can have two ways to go on:

1). Back up everything important well, shrink E partition and click “Extend” option by right clicking C drive in Disk Management.

2). Apply a tool to help you. If the firstly way cannot work for your computer, you also can learn to extend your partition by using some partition resizing tool like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, Active Partition Master and more.

No matter which one you choose to use, you’d better make data backups well in advance in case of data loss.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 12, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Sometimes you need free space just to get things done. Ccleaner can help to clear temp files and clutter, but to quickly get a good chunk of free space back you can turn off System Restore for the C drive and then turn it back on again. This will erase all the save points up to that date so make sure you don't need them and your system is fine before proceeding. Creating a backup is great if you have an external drive to use but it will take away some space if you do it on one of the internal drives. Windows will over time replace the restore points so I suggest you add a second internal drive if you can. Hard drives are pretty cheap per gigabyte these days so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I only use System Restore on my C drive and turn it off for the other internal drives since they do not have System files on them. If I want a back up of those drives I use Acronis Disk Imaging and put them on an external drive for safe keeping which I keep powered down until I need it (unplugged from the wall they will last along time that way).
    Burton572 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2014, 07:32 PM
    Have you increased your C drive successfully?

If not, the built-in Disk Management tool can help you: shrink your E drive and extend your C drive there.
    Of course, as others suggests, you also can take chances with some professional partition resizing tools like the above mentioned IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, EaseUS Partition Master and GParted, etc.

And I also know a video tutorial that tells how to extend partition step by step also may help you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk

Note: No matter what happens in the future, just back up everything important well before resizing process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to increase my boyfriends sex drive [ 1 Answers ]

I am 52 my boyfriend is 44 we have been together almost a year he has a very low sex drive - I would love to make love daily we only make love 2 times a month he tells me he loves me and its not me - what can I do

How can I increase my boyfriends sex drive? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a long history we have been together for a year, but before that we were best friends for three years, and about a year of that I was crazy about him and then the next he was crazy about me, then we finally got together. However, for about the past 4 months his sex drive...

How do I increase my sex drive? [ 5 Answers ]

When me and my husband were dating, we used to have sex for hours. It was great and everything was fine. Now that we are married, for some reason it went down. Well I always had issued with getting turned on or getting “in the mood”. For some reason, I don’t want to have sex as often as before....

View more questions Search