Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 02:38 PM
    Skill to use?
    I am holding my own but can say I am not being as skillful as I could be. I had no clue why I was struggling and today someone posted a pic of a tim hortons flooded.
    It was not because timmies was flooded but because of my fear of floods again this year. It was like an aha moment. Now I need to know how to fix this so I can function again.

Issues I am having at the moment are: idolizing self harm, overeating, depression, avoidance, crying, lack of patience with self and others, and feelings of doom.

Now I know skills to use when the worry is not factual (check the facts) but what do you use when there is a chance of flooding again? People in positions of power are advocating being ready as it could happen again I will be getting ready again but am still worried, scared, stressed etc that it will happen again

So what skills can I use to lessen my anxiety etc?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 03:48 PM
    Do you do any calming breathing exercises? Yoga?

What would you tell a friend who had the same worries?

Do you and H. have a plan in case of flooding? If I have a good plan in mind, especially if have been through it before and muddled my way along, I will feel more confident.

***ADDED*** Listen to music you enjoy. Do productive things you enjoy -- brush Owen (he'll love that!) while talking to him, cook or bake a new recipe, buy tempera and a canvas or two and give painting a whirl.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 04:00 PM
    Preparation. Prepare for the flood to come, even though it might not. In this way you are keeping your mind occupied.

If it comes you will be well prepared and happy that you are. If it doesn't, well, then you have little to worry about.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 04:21 PM
    I agree that a plan is a good idea. Be prepared. You know what it's like to go through it, so you know what you need to have in place to be prepared. Make a list of supplies, make a list of options for the pets if you should be evacuated, make calls to secure help if you need it. Then, after all the preparations are in place, you let it go.

I was raped as a teen. It could happen again. But I can't spend every day of my life worrying that it will. As much as I can be, I am prepared if it ever does happen again. But I refuse to spend every single day sucking my thumb in fear because it happened once, and it might happen again. That's no way to live life, at least not happily.

Living your life in fear because something happened once, is no way to live. Look at it this way. Out of all the years you've lived where you live, how many floods have there been? How many years went by with no flooding at all? Look at the odds of it happening again. The odds of it happening again this year, or even for many years, are pretty slim based on the past. The odds are in your favor that you'll be okay.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 06:21 PM
    Thank you all. We are talking about being better prepared and what we need to buy. I do find it funny I was saying earlier in the week I had no clue what was up and then someone posted something and I had my aha moment.
    I will take all suggestions into account and use them
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 12:08 AM
    Before the year 2000, we had barrels of water, generators, and more. I got busy selling survival supplies, *** and I sold a lot. In America I was prepared for almost anything that could hit. (except maybe zombies)

Some fear is not a bad thing. Now after my really bad car wreck in the 1990's, I could not drive on mountain or very curvy roads, I had to stop the car, (car went off side small mountain)

After my wreck I just stop driving till I finally just had to. Sometimes it is a matter of forcing yourself to do some things. Make lists and plans for each day and force yourself to do things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English skill [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO, how can I improve my communication skill and english speaking skill.. (by internet if it can)

Skill Saw [ 4 Answers ]

I know it is bad to cut a piece of wood in the middle when you are using saw Horses. So what are the alternatives?

What is motative skill [ 2 Answers ]

What is motative skills

How to enhance communication skill. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I enhance my communication skill or How can I be a good communicator.

What is a science skill [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me the question is What is a science skill

View more questions Search