Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mudpudles Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2014, 01:08 PM
    ADT states they OWN the box!
    I cancelled my ADT service after the monthly price increased to over $40.00 a month! After they shut off date, my alarm ceased to work completely. I was lead to believe that my alarm would still work without it being monitored. I at least wanted the door chime to work and even the alarm to alert me and allow myself to 911 if someone entered my home, but when I called them to report the problem, they stated that they OWNED the system and it’s completely non-functioning now! I’m more than upset because I paid top dollars for it to be installed and have been a customer for over 10 years!

Does anyone know if I myself can reset or turn on this so called “box” by myself?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2014, 01:50 PM
    Read your contract. That will tell you if you own the equipment or not.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2014, 04:02 PM
    As Scott said... that will be in the contract... Paying installation is normal... particularly with a low monitoring fee... you can't assume you bought the box, unless you have paperwork that specifically says so.

You can't get somethig for nothing. That's what it appears you want.

THere are stand alone systems out there you can get if that's what you want. But you are going to pay for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 12:21 AM
    In most of their residential contracts, they own the equipment which is why you do not pay 1000 or so, up front to get installed. They make their money off the higher monitoring fee. But your contract should say this. You would need to first disconnect their system from any telephone lines, so ADT can not access your system. Then it could or should be able to be programmed to work independent. Or a private box purchased for 300 to 1000. Some boxes contain a auto dialer that can even call your cell phone, if activated.

Mar 12, 2014, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    In most of their residential contracts, they own the equipment which is why you do not pay 1000 or so, up front to get installed. They make their money off the higher monitoring fee. But your contract should say this. You would need to first disconnect their system from any telephone lines, so ADT can not access your system. Then it could or should be able to be programmed to work independent. Or a private box purchased for 300 to 1000. Some boxes contain a auto dialer that can even call your cell phone, if activated.

THANK YOU FR Chuck! I was going to say that no one actually answered my question which was:

“DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN RESET OR TURN ON THE BOX BY MYSELF?”

I will look into calling my phone company and go from there. Thank you for taking the time and really looking at the question. I did pay about $1000.00 for the install and I have read the contract.

I simply just wanted to know if there was a way to disconnect them from "owning" it because obviously, some other monitoring company can come in and do the same thing using my current equipment. Thanks again Fr Chuck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2014, 04:11 PM
    If you look at the box, you will see normally a phone line ( heavier than security wires) and also multiwire going into the box. You just disconnect it. Also some of the independent security companies (local ones) often for a fee will come and do that for you also.

If yours is a older model do you still have the book, that tells you how to do a set up, of zones,and alarms. Often consider the unit currently just neutral and in need to be reset.

And if your contract states you own it, threaten them with legal action, and ask for a supervisor when you talk to them on the phone. Another idea, go in person to the local sales office. Ask for the manager, explain you are about to go on a mission to tell everyone you know about how they violated the contract and so on. *** in a nice way**... he will say they are an independent distributor and has nothing do do with it... but say yes you know, but it is his sales and his business that will be effected by your mission. And you wanted to give him a chance to fix the issue.

I had so many problems with ADT, I stopped their services after one year of a three year contract. I challenged them to take me to court over it, told them I wanted their actions in public record at court.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2014, 10:49 AM
    In the Business they are referred to as A.D.D. I have seen these large alarm companies, say 1 thing, and write another thing in the contract, too me this is missleading and stealing. How can you say you are protecting someone, while doing this. Many Times they will Give a FREE Alarm system in exchange for a Contract that easily pays for the System, You will have to reread the Contract. It matters what you signed, not what they said. If you can provide a photo of the Keypad and inside of the panel if possible, I can get you back going. Even if they programmed Installer Code Not Resettable(Defaultable), you would just need the Board for less than $100. Can you tell how many zones, any wireless, expanders etc?
    There is a Large company down here that will monitor your system, and when contract is up, they will not give installer code or reset, these are systems that the Homeowner ownes, I know I was the one who installed them. I now give Monitored systems to others.
    Personally I offer Free Monitoring with a United Security Products Dialer, It will call you when an alarm occurs, And YOU have the ability to listen in on your home, not them(Whoever they are, you will never know)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
    NO you can't turn on or RESET the box yourself to work INDEPENDENTLY of the programming company. What would be the point of anyone selling you the service.

Tick
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 11:57 AM
    They said that about the old cable boxes when you needed them to unscramble a signal from the early cable providers. Anything can be reprogrammed and modified. Often with consequences hard to prove. I think home alarm system providers and installers can make a case for coming after customers who keep them.

For a hundred bucks you can get a keypad and components to install your own from anywhere. Who needs a box? Its like the many who have old desk tops and monitors and are wanting to make use of them.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2014, 07:52 AM
    To repeat what I said earlier, Panels can be reset to default. Worse case you buy a new board for under $100. Post pictures of Panel Circuit Board, I can help get you back going. Take Care

Mar 27, 2014, 10:32 PM
    I apologize for taking so long to reply. I found the phone line going into the box (BHS-4000A). I was going to pull the electrical power plug from the basement, but it needs to be unscrewed and I’m not sure if I need to do that? So I unplugged the main telephone line and nothing. What next?

MY FATHER HAS AN ALARM SYSTEM THAT CAME WITH THE HOUSE HE PURCHASED. THERE IS NO SERVICE GOING TO IT, BUT IT STILL WORKS. THAT IS WHAT I’M TRYING TO ACHIEVE HERE.

There is also a very small line (like the size of spaghetti – perhaps that multi-wire you spoke about Fr) going into the same telephone line box. It’s tan. Perhaps I should follow that to where it ends up? I haven’t call AT&T yet (my telephone company). Should I still do that?

Also, I was looking online and saw other people talking about reset codes. The person who installed it put in a code and I would need that? Some were talking about 8 + 0 + 3 …blah, blah.. I look at the unit and see all kinds of numbers and ALL kinds of numbers on the contract.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2014, 06:20 AM
    Can you Post Pictures of the Panel? All you shoud have to do is unplug from the Phone Jack near the Panel( Its actually an RJ-31 X. This disconnects the Panel from the Telco. You would probably get a trouble light showing "Failure to Communicate" and/or Phone line trouble, they need to be disabled in Programming.
    I can definitely Help, if you can provide a picture of the Panel.
    Picture of Keypad would at least identify Manufacturer. Just need a Picture.

Mar 28, 2014, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    To repeat what I said earlier, Panels can be reset to default. Worse case you buy a new board for under $100. Post pictures of Panel Circuit Board, I can help get you back going. Take Care

Oh... I didn't know I could post photo's! Let me do that and get back with you! THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

There has to be a way, whether they own the equipment or not, to bypass and have control of the unit myself. It may not be connected to the phone company, therefore, not monitored, but it will sound.

I also have the card of the guy that installed it. I called it and it no longer is working, I DO HAVE HIS CELL! Perhaps that would help?
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2014, 07:22 AM
    If you own the equipment, The Installer(Exemployee,)hopefully could reset the Installer code to default. As the System is yours, It is possible for the Company to remotely change Installer code and make "Not Defaultable". Can still help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W2 box 14 states ui/di/wf? [ 1 Answers ]

On my w-2 for box 14 it states NJ UI/DI/WF 201.62 When I am filling out the state return it wants me to break up the DI and others with amounts. When I use the maximum amount based off my income I have over paid but my jobs accountant states that I haven't overpaid. How do I break this down?

Two states listed in one box on W-2 Form [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in 3 states while working for the same company. One state has its own tax statement, but the other two are listed together in boxes 15-17 on my W-2 form. The income is not split between the two states... how do I break this down on each state's return? Thanks!

Box 15 on W2 incorrectly split between two states [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have lived and worked in NJ for over 1 and 1/2 years. It looks like her employer screwed up and stated in box 15 that a portion of her income ($68463 of $176279) was Massachusetts income and withheld $3522 for MA. This is understating the NJ withholding by the same amount. How do I...

Adt security [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have purchased the installation of an alarm security system for my business. The vendor name is adt security. What accounts should I post for the purchase of the alarm system? Each month, which accounts will I post if any. What category in accounts would this fall under i.e.....

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

View more questions Search