Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bidwin Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 07:05 PM
    Tripping GFCI outlet
    I've got a weird situation. I have a garage door opener plugged into a gfci outlet that's on a circuit with no other outlets downstream of it. That is, only 3 wires are in the box, connected to the GFCI outlet. Kitchen lights, a laundry room light, garage lights (4 fluorescent 40W tubes in 2 fixtures), and outdoor lights are also on the circuit. I don't have a circuit tracer (too much $$) so I don't know how the circuit is run. Here's my problem: When the garage lights are turned off the garage door opener GFCI outlet occasionally trips. The opener is not running. The tripping is very sporadic. I talked to both the opener and GFCI outlet manufacturers but they have no clue about why this is happening. Anyone out there ever experience this? BTW, I replaced the opener's outlet with a new one - still trips.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2014, 09:29 PM
    If your switch is old and is arcing when switched, that might do it--try replacing.

Also, some places have exception allowing dedicated outlet on ceiling to not require being GFCI outlet--but find out before changing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI outlet keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that has become problematic. It controls the lights and fan in my master bath and 2nd bath, as well as the outlet at the front of my house. There is also an ADP security system tied to it. The problem I have is it keeps tripping....

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that keeps trippping. We've been in this house for years and have never had this problem. We don't have any additional appliances/lighting etc. running on this circuit or anywhere in the house for that matter. It keeps tripping after reset; sometimes immediately sometimes...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

View more questions Search