Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sapsucker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Ssdi social security disability arrears in Oregon state
    First post ,I see some of you look to be getting some help so I thought I would ask a question that no lawyer that I have talked to yet can answer . I have been out of work for 7 yrs do to a disability all along racking up arrears I had a few meadeations administrative hearings and administrative court orders to pay more and more even though I was on state food stamps and living with parents till there divorce . Can I ever get the state off my back for arrears the women I have the child with is on state wll fare so the case can't be satisfied and she would not satisfy 1 dime my parents tried to settle with her long ago when I was having surgery not a chance . Thanks for any hel and a little hope in this matter . Sappy
    sapsucker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:29 PM
    I see some people have looked and no response I guess I stumped even the people that may have opinions on this subject . Lol
    adb02 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
    I would say first of all, are you on ssi or ssdi? You say you have had a disability for 7 yrs but don't clarify if you are receiving benefits. Second, what did the judge say in the other hearings? If they did nothing about your child support then I would assume that meant they found you capable of working and making a wage. Third, it doesn't mater at all that you live with your parents regarding calculation of child support. If anything it works against you because I would think the judge sees that as you not having any household bills to pay so more disposable income. And lastly pleaseclarify how you are receiving foodstamps being a single man living with your parents?

Sep 9, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Comment on sapsucker's post
    I would like to add there is nothing you can do about child suppot arrears unless you applied for and was approved for ssi not ssdi and you were approved for those months you were in arrears then you can ask the court to remove it.
    GeorgeMcCasland Posts: 42, Reputation: -5
    -

Sep 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
    As stated above, the factor here are whether you are on SSI or SSDI. With SSI, your income cannot be attached, and you should have requested a modification to zero out the amount owed.

With SSDI, she receives a Child Benefit Check that is not deducted from your check. Your support could have been modified to equal this amount. I'm on SSDI.

Depending on state law, according to Judge David Grey Ross, Commissioner of the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, you may have the option to request a retroactive reduction in your arrears because that you have cause. At the minimum, you can request any interest penalties be set aside.

Sep 11, 2010, 01:21 AM
    I will say he could request a reduction but that is doubtful to me that he would get it. It would depend on your states laws. If he has already ben through several hearings and they have not reduced his child support then it is unlikely that they will reduce his arrears that are accumulating because of that amount they found him able to pay, not being paid. He could request modification of child support if there has been a change in circumstance since his last hearing to ask to reduce the monthly suport amount, but unless he is on ssi or gets approved for ssi, my bet is he will have to pay the arrears.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adb02 View Post
    I will say he could request a reduction but that is doubtful to me that he would get it. It would depend on your states laws.
    Reductions/Retroactive modifications are forbidden by the Federal law.
    According to the "Bradley amendment" if a state' law allows RM this state will lose some federal subsidies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

View more questions Search