Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 10:47 AM
    Regarding interest earned from foreign bank accounts
    Hello,

I will be filing my 2013 taxes as a resident alien. I know that I need to file FBAR form if the total amount at any point has been >= USD 10K.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to file the interest earned from that account irrespective of the total amount in the bank account? What if the total amount is < USD 10K?

2) If the answer to (1) is YES, then how do I convert the amount into USD? Do I just take the individual dates on which interest was paid over the whole year and convert the amount to USD and add up the whole thing?

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2014, 09:55 PM
    1) It does not matter HOW MUCH was in the account. You need to report any interest earned per account that exceeds $10.

2) You can convert using the exchange rate on the date the interest was posted OR the average exchange rate for the year OR the year-end exchange rate provided by the IRS. You just need to be consistent about which method you use.

Mar 9, 2014, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    1) It does not matter HOW MUCH was in the account. You need to report any interest earned per account that exceeds $10.

2) You can convert using the exchange rate on the date the interest was posted OR the average exchange rate for the year OR the year-end exchange rate provided by the IRS. You just need to be consistent about which method you use.

Thanks again.

I've a couple more:

1) Do I need to provide some proof of the interest obtained from both local and overseas banks? I've 1099 INT from the local banks but for the overseas one, the only thing I've is an excel sheet of the year around transactions.

2) The total interest I obtained is < $1,500 from all the accounts. Do I still need to fill Schedule B form for the interest obtained from overseas account or simply mentioning the total on 1040 A is enough?

Please give your suggestions.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2014, 09:30 AM
    1) No proof is needed,

2) Because there is overseas income, the Schedule B IS required irrespective of the amount being reported.

Mar 9, 2014, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    1) No proof is needed,

2) Because there is overseas income, the Schedule B IS required irrespective of the amount being reported.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2014, 07:13 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying Taxes on Interest earned on foreign account [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filing my taxes (yes... I'm a procrastinator!) and am using H&R Block at home program. I've come to the section asking about interest earned on bank accounts and need to include a small amount of interest I've earned on an account I have in France. Since this bank has no connection to the US,...

Interest earned on foreign account - do I have a problem? [ 4 Answers ]

My grandparents who lived in France opened a bank account for me many years ago that I didn't know about. Very little money was ever deposited in the account while my grandparents were alive. My mother (who also lives in France and is a french citizen) recently made me aware of the account and...

State tax for Ohio for foreign capital gain and foreign earned interest on the amount [ 4 Answers ]

Does one have to pay state tax on foreign capital gain and foreign interest that was earned during that year?

Foreign Earned Income & Bank Interest [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am checking this for my married friends who are US citizens. They have been filing their foreign earned income jointly (Form 2555EZ) with the bona fide status since 2007. 1. One of the couple changed job last year so does he need to file 2 separate forms of 2555EZ for each employer's...

Taxation in USA for interest earned in foreign countries [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to declare interest earned with USA tax filing if you earned this in a foreign country and already paid taxes in that country?

View more questions Search