Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLE KAPLAN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2014, 10:13 AM
    The percentage of retirement account that can be withdrawn?
    What percentage of 401k and/or sep accounts has to be withdrawn starting at age 70 1/2. How does the percentage change every year.
    Note: I am not asking for a dollar amont, I want to know the percentage.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 10:19 AM
    That is entirely dependent on which plan administrator you have as it varies from plan to plan. Contact your plan administrator.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2014, 11:14 AM
    Its not quite that simple. The Required Minimum Distribution is based on anticipated life expectancy. Not plan administrator.

There are a number of RMD calculators on the WEB. Here's one: Required Minimum Distribution Calculator – FINRA
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 01:11 PM
    The IRS determines the required minimum distribution, not the plan administrator. The initial distribution must be made by April 15 of the calendar year following when you turn age 70-1/2, and by December 31 of subsequent years. Here's the IRS table - you divide your December 31 account balance by the expected "distribution period" (esssentially your life expectancy):

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf

The resulting percentages turn out as follows for the first five years:

Age, RMD %
    70, 3.65%
    71, 3.77%
    72, 3.91%
    73, 4.05%
    74, 4.20%
    75, 4.27%
    etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much can be withdrawn from 401k traditional account every year? [ 1 Answers ]

How much can a retiree withdraw from his 401k traditional account every year, any amounts or there are minimum and maximum amounts limits required by the IRS? Thank you for your answer.

When can police freeze bank account and withdrawn it [ 1 Answers ]

Local police frozen my bank account in Michigan in November of 2008, in April of 2009 they withdrew all the money and droped state charges. My son had nothing to do with my bank account and wasn't on my account . The fed's picked up his case and brought charges againist my son and he has since been...

Retirement Account [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Before April 15th, I want to invest into an retirement account. I don't know if I should open a Roth IRA account or the new proposed Lifetime Savings Account(LSA) by president Bush. Can you please list the pros and cons of both accounts. Would I be able to withdraw from the...

View more questions Search