Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dmcollins1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2014, 07:18 AM
    Toyota Camry 2001 low oil pressure
    I have a 2001 Toyota Camry with 433,000 miles. It is still in good shape and engine runs well. The low oil pressure light came on. I checked the oil and it was good. Manual said light may flicker on when you start and should go off as you accelerate then there probably is'nt a problem. I did that and it did. I drove 83 hwy miles and didn't remember seeing the light come on (passed through some towns I had to slow down). Came into the last town and oil pressure light came back on. Oil level is still good so I had it towed to the mechanics since the manual said not to drive. Mechanic put gauge on and the oil pressure was good (20psi) and also checked the pressure at idle and it was good. He thought it was the pressure sending unit. He changed it out and test drove it and light came back on (still good pressure when measured with a gauge). I had mentioned that the lights on my dash were out (either bulb or short in wiring) so he checked the wiring up to the dash and it all looked good. He is going to change out the sensor sending unit again on the slim chance the new unit was faulty and then the only other thing he can think of is there is something happening with the intake pan... but again we are registering good oil pressure with an actual gauge. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 08:44 AM
    Assuming he is correct with what he told you I would take the chance and change the oil and filter with good, name brand parts. I have seen bad oil cause this as well as a bad filter. Beyond that, the oil pump could be going bad.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2014, 10:58 AM
    My experience with these cars is that sludge has formed, which is affecting the oil light. Start using full-synthetic engine oil and a quality filter. Because of sludging issues, Toyota only uses full-synthetic engine oil in its dealerships. This should safely clean the oil galleys of sludge; otherwise, use Auto-Rx.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Have him do this while the sending unit is out. Remove the oil filter, cover with a rag, with a rubber tipped air nozzle, give short blasts of compressed air in the sending unit hole.
    Deposits of whatever should come shooting out onto the rag if that's what's causing the obstruction.
    Replace the oil filter and sending unit, (OE filter recommended at this point) and test drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 toyota camry stereo [ 2 Answers ]

Where are the fuses for the stereo

2001 Toyota Camry starting problems [ 2 Answers ]

Cut off while driving .act like it wants to start but not getting a connection.

Fuse diagram for 2001 toyota camry [ 3 Answers ]

Where are the fuses for the stereo

1994 Toyota Camry Oil Pressure [ 6 Answers ]

The oil pressure light is on for my 1994 Toyota Camry LE - 4-Cylinder engine, built in Japan. Oil is full, so I took it to my mechanic to get sensor replaced. Turns out oil pressure really is low. Mechanic suggested filter screen in oil pan was clogged or oil pump was bad. Both repairs are...

Toyota Camry 2001 fog light [ 1 Answers ]

Can the fog light bulb be replaced from the outside? - no screws visible - or do I have to get access to the back of the light? Pat

View more questions Search