Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrangel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Child support
    If the non-custodial parent gives up parental rights to his child. Is he still obligated to pay child support.
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lrangel
    If the non-custodial parent gives up parental rights to his child. Is he still obligated to pay child support.
    Yes, you are obligated to pay child support. Giving up parental rights does not relieve you of your obligation to pay child support. Sorry that you didn't get the answer you were probably seeking.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I believe Noviceplaintiff is probably correct. And, I hope that he is. However, I have personally know a woman who lives in Iowa who had two children by a man in Illinois and another child by a different man in Iowa. She is together with the man from Iowa. She also has all three children.

On one occasion, I asked her if the father of the first two children paid any child support. She said that he did not. I said that she could go after him for it. This was back in 1999. Around 2003 she finally did go after him through the courts in Illinois.

There is no doubt that laws have changed since 1999 concerning child support. It may be that it is mandatory for a non-custodial parent, even if they give up their parental rights, to have to pay child support.

If you live in a different state than the other parent does, it may make a difference as to whether child support is mandatory for the non-custodial parent.

The following site gives the guidelines for each state:

SupportGuidelines.com | Links
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 09:30 PM
    In MOST cases, giving up custody ( unless taken away by CPS) all you give up on your rights is visitation, rights to have a say.

You do not give up obligations to pay support or provide health insurance.

Now if the parent with custody has a new spouse or new partner that wants to adopt, if they adopt, all child support would end then.

And to be honest if it was just that easy, would 1000's of men be sitting in jail for not paying support if they could just give up their rights and not have to pay.
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I believe Noviceplaintiff is probably correct. And, I hope that he is. However, I have personally know a woman who lives in Iowa who had two children by a man in Illinois and another child by a different man in Iowa. She is together with the man from Iowa. She also has all three children.

On one occasion, I asked her if the father of the first two children paid any child support. She said that he did not. I said that she could go after him for it. This was back in 1999. Around 2003 she finally did go after him through the courts in Illinois.

There is no doubt that laws have changed since 1999 concerning child support. It may be that it is mandatory for a non-custodial parent, even if they give up their parental rights, to have to pay child support.

If you live in a different state than the other parent does, it may make a difference as to whether child support is mandatory for the non-custodial parent.

The following site gives the guidelines for each state:

SupportGuidelines.com | Links
    The child support is generally filed in the state in which the child resides, which makes it easier on the custodial parent. It is then the responsibility of the state to communicate with the other state in which the non-custodial parent resides to enforce child support which is difficult to do and a hassel to many petitioning parents because you are dealing with different laws. But with tenacity, it can be done. Just more hoops to jump through.

P.S. Novice is a woman :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

2 county's want child support for same child [ 1 Answers ]

In California, can two separate counties each make Someone pay for shild support at the same time? That's a double order for the same amount for the same child.

View more questions Search