Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powellgolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 07:00 PM
    How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease
    My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about this. Thank you for your help.

Sarasota, FL
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 07:27 PM
    I am going to sound real mean, very mean, you should not be in the rental business if you don't know how to do all for this.

You will have to sue her in court basically after billing her for the balances for being in violation of the lease. Then after you win, many times they still won't pay, and you will have to try and find her bank accounts to freeze or where she works to garnish her pay.

And you can't actually just make her pay the balance, just the part that it stays empty. You first have to try and rent it, and then she is responsible for that part it stays empty.

You need to explain that she can't just move and she will be paying and you will have to sue her and will even garnish her pay if she does not pay.

But if she is a dead beat and there are 1000's of them, you will be lucky to have your money a year from now.
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by powellgolf
    My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about this. Thank you for your help.

Sarasota, FL
    Landlord -tenant law in FL is fairly simple. I was born and raised there and recently relocated. Go to the Landlord-tenant division of your local civil court, file the necessary papers, pay the fee, have the tenant served and go to court. You should have all of the tenant's information, right? You did have them fill out an app and do a credit check right? Please say you did. You did check references didn't you? If you did, then once you go to court place it on his/her credit report. And you are done.

Hope this helps.
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    You will have to sue her in court basicly after billing her for the balances for being in violation of the lease. Then after you win, many times they still won't pay, and you will have to try and find her bank accounts to freeze or where she works to garnish her pay.
    Wage garnishment in the state of Florida is not easy to do. Florida isn't a state that likes to do that. Im a native Floridian and worked at a law firm there as well as the Florida Bar Association during my collegiate career. Not to mention on Mock trial teams all the way through college and a member of the Hatchett Prelaw Society. And started Law School -- didn't finish though. But I've read a lot throughout those experiences. That is a tough thing to do in FL - wage garnishment.
    bosoxmal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 07:57 PM
    What are the Florida Laws concerning a tenant breaking a rental apartment lease
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 04:24 AM

Hello box:

You should start your own thread. Maybe somebody will come along and do it for you.

There's LOTS of laws, and you should read them. We have a copy right here at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    jeannebennett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 07:27 PM
    How does a broken lease work in Kansas. Where do I start? The renter has given < 30 days notice, 3 months into a 1 yr lease
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 07:07 AM

Hello j:

You TOO should start your own thread. It'll get a lot more attention that way.

You start your landlord career by reading your state landlord/tenant laws. We have a copy of the right here at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And you can't actually just make her pay the balance, just the part that it stays empty. you first have to try and rent it, and then she is responsible for that part it stays empty.
    Not so in Florida.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlaw breaks lease [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a lease to move into a house, gave my deposit . 3 days before my move the owner is giving me back my money and breaking the lease . My house is compeletly packed the utilities have been changed everything is done . What expences is he responsible for. Thank you doreen

Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed...

My subtenant wants to stay after the lease term ends [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I rent an apartment in New Jersey. My boyfriend and I have the one-year lease with landlord, and we are subleasing other rooms in the same apartment to two other roommates. The building consists of two apartments, where the landlords' family resides one of the apartment. Our lease...

Rent payment when lease goes into different month? [ 8 Answers ]

My lease is up December 10. However we pay rent on the third. If I'm planning on moving by the date my lease is up do I still have to pay rent for December? I don't believe I should have to.

Need to break lease due to Relocation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - Can you please help me! I move to VA just 7 months ago and have a 2 year lease. My job is relocating me to another state. Is there anything I can do to get out of the lease? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search