Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJ4now Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 09:43 AM
    How do I register a lien in Ontario?
    I loaned money to a friend in Ontario and the Notarized Promissory note says that "this note shall become due and payable immediately upon the sale of the residence at XXXXXX " It also states" The Borrower shall not encumber the property with any further liens or encumbrances from this point on until the debt is paid in full"

The property is now listed and is being sold and I wish to secure a lien to ensure that I get paid out of the proceeds.

Can I register a lien again the property to ensure that I get paid?

Debbie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2014, 10:18 AM
    If the Promissory Note lists the property as collateral, then you should have filed a lien immediately after it was signed. It may not be too late. You need to take the signed note to your local record of deeds to file it.
    JJ4now Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If the Promissory Note lists the property as collateral, then you should have filed a lien immediately after it was signed. It may not be too late. You need to take the signed note to your local record of deeds to file it.
    I now live in Alberta. Can I do this lien in Ontario online.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2014, 11:44 AM
    I don't know. You have to contact the Register of deeds for Ontario or the local government where the property is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Placing a lien in ontario [ 4 Answers ]

I built a house for my at the time common-law spouse, I incured costs of 40 plus k not to mention labor. She has been leading me on saying 'I am going to pay you' etc. It has been almost three years I have yet to see a dime and now I would like to place a lien against the property. Is it too late?

How do I put a lien on a house in Ontario? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an order from the Courts stating my ex-husband is to sell the matrominal home, court order dated January 2011. I have made several repeated attempts to settle this issue with him with no result. He is beyond unco-operative in the fact he won't put the house on the market and is refusing any...

Placing a lien on a property in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

My common law spouse of seven years and I are separating and our house, that she bought from my ex wife and me for $250,000 in 2001 is now worth approximately $450,000 (possibly more). She is an admitted gambling addict and a revenue canada auditor so $$$ is a ball busting issue. I want 50% of the...

Placing a lien in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

My commonlaw partner and I of 10 years are separating. We have a house together that is in his name only due to a previous bankrucy on my side. Anyway we have had the house for 3 years now and I have been paying the mortgage and all bills however nothing is in my name. (I do have a paper trail to...

Lien on house in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

How to place lien on house in ontario

View more questions Search