Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekozo99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 12:41 AM
    Company-wide hours reduction
    I would like to ask about how to navigate through a compamy-wide temporary hours reduction for a construction company. Because of the weather, the company was forced to reduce all staff to 35 hrs per week. There is lots of work ut the ground is just frozen. The HR Manager even said that there were other options that they didn't consider. This company is a private company, so I feel that something is not right. He stated that there are issues in the company with access to managerial accounting information. Just last week we had a company lunch to celebrate all the hard work. I have no problem staying through this but I'm not sure if they deserve that kind of patience from me. At what point do I consider reality and my wife and children over this so called corporate family of mine??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2014, 01:22 AM
    What is there to "navigate" though. They tell you when to work, my son is in the construction business and has only worked about 10 hours in the last 5 weeks due to weather in the midwest.

It appears the office staff is not remembering that there is no income if no one is working in the field. So of course they will reduce office staff. Some will even shut offices for a week, except for one or two people, when this happens.

If you are still getting 35 hours a week, that is lucky in construction business during some winter months
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2014, 05:35 AM
    You posted this in the ethics forum so I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking how much loyalty you owe to a company? If so, your first loyalty is to yourself and family. If you feel you can find a better job, then go for it. Like Chuck, I'm puzzled by the question about navigating.
    ekozo99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 05:50 AM
    What I meant by navigate is should I stick it out or find employment elsewhere? I psted this in wthics because I would like to know what is the most ethical thing to do. I don't want to let people down and out thrm in a position but I need to pay the bills as my wife doesn't work many days at her employer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2014, 05:54 AM
    Unless you are under an employment contract that requires you stay with the company for a period, you are under no obligation, legal or ethical, to stay with them. You may feel some loyalty for other reasons and that's something you need to resolve personally, no one can advise you on that. But, as I said, your first loyalty is to yourself and family.

On the other hand, the economy is not great and you do take a risk in switching jobs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2014, 07:01 AM
    And of course always an option of finding additional part time work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company loan reduction [ 0 Answers ]

MY company has negotiated a reduction in our bank debt -the bank has agreed to write off a substantial portion of the loan owing to them. How do I record this in my accounting records?

Salary hours reduction [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been on salary since employed at this company. He was always paid the same amount every week no matter how many hours of overtime he put in. Recently, because of the economy, the company cut back all employees to 36 hours per week. The hourly employees are now getting only 36...

A room 8.5m long and 4.5m wide is surrounded by a balcony 2m wide. Find the area [ 1 Answers ]

A room 8.5m long and 4.5m wide is surrounded by a balcony 2m wide. Find the area occupied by the balcony

View more questions Search