Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 2, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Attorneys "Cut" , Is it Tax deductable ?
    My situation is this. An attorney was used in a disability claim against an insurance Co. . The company settled for... lets say 100 dollars. The attorney took 45 dollars right of the top and we received the 54 dollar balance. Now can the 45 dollars be a tax deduction? Or are we responsible for tax on the whole "100" No income statements were received by us during this, so it is unclear.

Thanks,
    Morrowrj
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 2, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowrj
    My situation is this. An attorney was used in a disability claim against an insurance Co. . The company settled for... lets say 100 dollars. The attorney took 45 dollars right of the top and we received the 54 dollar balance. Now can the 45 dollars be a tax deduction? or are we responsible for tax on the whole "100" No income statements were received by us during this, so it is unclear.

Thanks,
    Morrowrj
    It all depends on how your settlement was worded. Is all of the $$ for punitive damages or actual or medical? Legal expenses are only deductible when they are in direct coalition to protecting your income or income producing property. It all depends on how your settlement was worded as to IF that income is even taxable. If it is not taxable, then you have no expenses to offset on income that is not even taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
    If the settlement is taxable income, the attorney fees can be deducted as a miscellaneous deduction, which is an itemized deduction subject to a 2% AGI floor.

If the settlement is NOT taxable, then the attorney's are NOT tax deductible.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Yes the settlement is taxable. Now I read the Schedule A & B instructions looking for where I could claim the attorneys fees and didn't see it. You are saying line 27 Misc. deductions is correct ?

Thanks for your help!
    Morrowrj
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Yes, it is a Miscellaneous deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

Cut and "Lost" [ 3 Answers ]

I was sorting some XL workbooks and found one I wanted to place to another folder after opening the Workbook. Without thinking while the Workbook was open, I Cut the Workbook and a Message came up saying I could not Paste the Workbook unless I closed it. So I closed the Workbook, went back to...

View more questions Search