Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepaksreenivas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
    Os development
    Hi
    I would like to try developing my own operating system.could you please tell me how I can do that?

Deepak
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2005, 07:30 PM
    If you have to ask, you aren't ready to do it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Scott is right. A good place to start might be getting into Linux. As you learn more about Linux, you could join some of the projects maintaining it and updating it. Linux is open source. You can learn how it works, and begin to write your own contributions.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 19, 2005, 03:59 AM
    OS Development
    Have a chat with W.Gates,at Redmond.Learn how to make a fortune and corner the world market.Only need thirty years experience and 100,000 staff. :D

Seriously,as Scott and Labman have told you the best way to learn about OS code,is to have a look at Linux.It's open source,i.e. anyone can 'add' to it.Bare in mind that there are different versions around,Red Hat,Mandrake,etc,all relating to different coders working in that project.You could set up 'My Linux' and get a few close friends to help.Visit http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/ and have a browse around.If you can write Linux style code then your laughing.

I for one would use it!

All the best to you,
    Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2005, 08:23 AM
    The purpose of an operating system is to act as a gobetween between the processor, and the hardware/software being run on it. As such, it takes commands issued by the software, processes them within the CPU and sends them out to the hardware.

Lab and Nez's suggestions about looking at the Linux code is a good idea. Not sure, but I assume Linux is written in some form of C.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enterprenuership development [ 0 Answers ]

I am a Mechanical Engineer and looking for a Part time or correspondence PG course on Enterpreneurship development in India. I would appreciate any information in this regard. Regards, Anant Bhosale

Development [ 4 Answers ]

I am new to this site and think it's very informative. We are planning to construct a small block of flats on our land and need to find a reliable and honest project manager... is there an organisation we can contact? Thanks !

Kitten Development and Care! (Help me!) [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, As I've posted previously my cat had kittens last week. Luckily three out of the four kittens have homes that they will be going to once they are old enough. But until then... what do I do? I mean, they are eight days old now and are starting to open their eyes. They are so cute, but I...

Training and development [ 1 Answers ]

Just I want to know in simple answer what the difference between Training and development?

View more questions Search