Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mack2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2014, 06:00 PM
    Is it bad if your dog poops in a crate multiple times
    I have two dogs and I have had them for about 3 months now. All of the sudden they started going to the bathroom while they slept in the crate. I don't know if they are sick or not, but I'm tired of cleaning it up every morning. I don't know why they are doing that because take them to the bathroom every time before they go in and right when they come out. Am I doing something wrong??
    sjd1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2014, 11:53 PM
    Mack2002 I have owned 2 dogs who were brothers, I have doen a lot of research on this matter because my sister has a beagle/ dachshund, and this dog would consistently go potty in her cage. I would be really concerned if they have been pottying in their kennel. The research I have done indicates that dogs who potty in their kennels 1 are from what's called puppy factories, or they have been used to peeing / pooping in their kennels for quite some times. If your kennel is to large trhey will indeed go in the farthest corner, but if the kennel is made so they do not have much room , they just might wait until you take them out to go potty. The kennel my sister had was too big for them and they had a convienent corner to go. So what I did was turn the kennel on its end and made the area smaller , for them and it worked.
    The other possibility is this . Because they are hunting dogs they are very particular about where they go potty. My dog is a rat terrier, and he used to go out in the yard and find an animals poop whom he might like to kill for supper and he would put one of his shoulders into the animals poop, and he would come in and I would have to bathe him, just a way of trying to confuse his prey, now hunters are very smart dogs. And you have to be consistent and firm with them going potty, it may sound cruel , but you have to follow them out side and make sure they go both pottys beforwe you bring them back in , and do not let them back in the house until they have done both.
    Reard them for doing a great job and encourage that behavior , you will have to work hard on that so be consistent. Hope I have helped a little bit :)
    Have a wonderful night .
    sjd1961

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog poops in her crate and rolls in it... How do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old West Highland Terrier. She was close to being completely crate/potty trained up until about a month ago. We went away for about a week and left her at a Pet Hotel that she has been to a few times before. When we came back she started to pee in her crate every few days or so....

Dog poops many times and in small amounts [ 13 Answers ]

Why does my dog poop several times a day and in smaller amounts? It is not runny and looks normal. He just goes often, almost every time we go out. He seems to be in good health. He is a cockapoo.

Troublemaker poops in her crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 dogs an 11 year old American Eskimo that I rescued 10 years ago and a 3 year old Boxer that I got in September. My Eskimo is very easy going with very few behavior problems. He will behave whether in or out of the crate. My boxer however will not. When I first got her I tried leaving...

2-3 yr old dog pees and poops in crate [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We recently adopted a 2-3 yr old lab mix that had been rescued in Dec 2006, He is a bueatiful and loving dog but we have had him for about 3 weeks and are having trouble getting him to "do his business" outside. His rescue home had a doggie door. We both work so we have to leave during the...

My puppy poops in his crate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a nine week old puppy (we just got him 1 week ago) and he is a perfect little puppy, except when we put him in his crate he cries and whines, which we expect... but, then he will poop and then walk in it and make a mess. We have tried leaving the radio/tv on, making the crate...

View more questions Search