Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2014, 09:48 PM
    No Fuel
    I have a 1985 Cadillac De ville with the 4.1 engine. The car has been sitting for 17 years. There was no fuel coming to the carburetor. I changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I still get no fuel to the carburetor. Also changed the fuel relay switch. Don't have a clue what could be the problem. Can anyone help me out? Thank you.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 10:05 PM
    Carb? You could have a gummed up carb and a stuck float/needle valve. On the other hand, after sitting all that time, it is also possible that the fuel lines could be clogged.

Mar 1, 2014, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Carb? You could have a gummed up carb and a stuck float/needle valve. On the other hand, after sitting all that time, it is also possible that the fuel lines could be clogged.
    Well I checked the fuel pump for power and it only has power for about 3 seconds after I turn the ignition to the on position. After that there's no power going to the fuel pump? Is this normal?
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 10:16 PM
    How are you checking it? Is it installed and the lines connected? The electric pump will cycle through a prime when you first apply power so I believe what you're describing is normal.

Mar 1, 2014, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    How are you checking it? Is it installed and the lines connected? The electric pump will cycle through a prime when you first apply power so I believe what you're describing is normal.
    I was testing the power wire with a test light. I've cranked it about five minutes and still no fuel. I also disconnected the fuel lines that go into the carb and turned the ignition to the on position and still get no fuel? Put two gallons of fuel in tank.
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 10:46 PM
    I could be wrong but it sounds like you have something in the fuel lines.

Mar 1, 2014, 10:50 PM
    So how can I check to be sure if there is anything in the fuel lines? Any ideas? Have you ever heard of fuel lines getting clogged?
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 10:55 PM
    Disconnect the lines on both ends and blow compressed air through them.

The car sat for 17 years...anything is possible. You have to pretty much start with the simple, cheaper ideas first to eliminate those possibilities.

Mar 1, 2014, 11:15 PM
    Okay. I will try that tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. Thank you for your help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2014, 06:11 AM
    Surprise . . . Your Cadillac has fuel injectors, not a carburetor. The throttle body, which houses the fuel injectors, just looks like a carburetor. Be sure to purge the tank and fuel lines of all of the old gas. Then, put more than a token amount of gas in the tank and pressurize the injectors by turning the ignition switch to ON and waiting until the CEL goes out. Next, turn the ignition switch to OFF and repeat this sequence two more times. After the CEL goes out on the final sequence, turn the ignition switch to START.
    Entomology Expert

Mar 2, 2014, 07:01 AM
    It's a TBI? I thought they were using TBI back then but I made the mistake of assuming the OP knew. I might still consider blowing out the lines first. 17 years is a long time and who knows what kind of build up or rust might be there.

Mar 30, 2014, 07:16 PM
    The CEL never tuned off. I did the sequence twice and still no start. Could it be that the fuel lines are clogged after all?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2014, 04:59 AM
    If the CEL stays on, the ECM may be bad. Try and clean the main ECM ground first.

Apr 4, 2014, 06:57 PM
    Going to try the ground. I just finished dropping the fuel tank again. I disconnected the fuel filter and removed the fuel pump. I blew air threw all the fuel lines including the fuel sending unit as well. Everything is clear. I can hear the pump turn on. Any ideas?

Apr 4, 2014, 10:20 PM
    Okay. So I just finished monkeying around with the darn fuel pump.
    I rolled the dice and took my chances and it paid off. Turns out it was
    A bad fuel pump. I purchased a new pump and shazam. It starts.
    Maybe defective fuel pump. Just glad it all done. Thank you everyone
    For help and input.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2014, 05:10 AM
    Didn't you install a new fuel pump before? Could it have been an electrical connection issue with the pump (ground or power)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ran out of fuel boiler shut off put fuel in burner won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Ran out fuel burner shut off added fuel won't turn on

My John Deer L118 kept cutting off, I replaced the fuel filter, but now no fuel pumpi [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L118, it has the 20 HP motor. It used to run for about 15 min then cut off, so I replaced the fuel pump, now it starts, but shuts off after 2 seconds. I unhooked the fuel line and no fuel is coming out of the fuel pump when I turn it over. I can blow air all the way up into the...

What are fuel requirements for 2007 Lexus SUV --regular or high test fuel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2007 lexus SUV Do I need to put in high test fuel or will it run as well on regular?

View more questions Search