Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ml1075 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Married and confused
    Hi

I got married last year and live in NJ. My husband works in NJ. I work in NYC. Are both incomes subject to NY/NYC taxes or just mine?

I want to know if it is worth looking for a job in NJ?

Confused?
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ml1075
    Hi

I got married last year and live in NJ. My husband works in NJ. I work in NYC. Are both incomes subject to NY/NYC taxes or just mine?

I want to know if it is worth looking for a job in NJ?

Confused?
    It generally goes by the state in which you work. And then you pay taxes for your state in which you are homestead. Ergo, both states. However, NY is a unique state in more ways than one. So, your HR tax department at your place of employment will be able to answer that question for you. Your employer will have to withdraw money out of your check accordingly and report it accordingly, so you need to inform and they can provide guidance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
    You will pay taxes to NY for income earned in NY. Your husband will pay taxes to NJ for his income earned in NJ.

NJ will also tax the NY-based income you earned, but will give you a tax credit for the taxes you paid to NY state and NYC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am in love with 2 men, 1 is getting married and I am married to the other [ 12 Answers ]

Never ever thought I would be posting a question on a site - but life got me here:rolleyes: I am a happily married woman - happily married if you remove the sex out of marriage. My partner was never very interested in sex and that was something I had comfortably accepted. We lived happily for...

Get married [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living with my girlfriend for 17 years should we get married.

Married F1 > H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, My situation is the following: F1 with income in 2005 F1 with income- from Jan 1 to Apr 2006 OPT with income (SSN & Medicare non exempt) between April-Sept 2006 H1 - from Oct 1 – Dec 31 2006 (approval date August 2006, valid from October 1, 2006). Married: Spouse F2 and H4...

View more questions Search