Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mah-jonng Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2014, 09:16 AM
    I want to place any program onto a 4GB SDHC card.
    Hi,

I want to place any program onto a 4GB SDHC card, to use like a USB flash drive, so that it can run
    during bootup for Vista!

So, the questions is: what drivers or files do you need to place onto a SD or a SDHC card, without
    reverse engineering etc - if possible, to enable any program to run during boot up for Vista?

But, please note 2 things:

1. I do not want place the whole Vista operating system because it is already installed on this laptop;

And

2. Although I have not received a full or proper answer yet I will not mention at this stage any method
    or procedure that I have tried, any company or person that I have contacted or any website that I
    have visited!

But, what I can mention is: have tried 2 methods/instructions which I found on the internet after a deep
    search. Even though both failed I am still convinced that it can be done!

Also, have tried P E Builder. But I have not been successful in achieving 'it', yet!

So, can you help by providing me with a detailed answer or directing me to a website where I will find a
    'well used' method/procedure?

Thank you for your patience in this matter and I do look forward to receiving your reply soon in the near
    future.

From

Mr Berwyn H Price

P.S. I am asking, kindly, please do not ask me 'why do you want to do that' etc as I have been asked that
    question at least twice already and I am getting a bit frustrated with the type of question instead of a proper
    response etc.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 1, 2014, 09:19 AM
    Try a FLASH (USB) Drive as this is supported from BIOS rather that card readers which tend not to be.
    Also depends on what exactly this program is trying to do.
    Does it operate under windows or is it an OS in its own right ??
    Mah-jonng Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2014, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Try a FLASH (USB) Drive as this is supported from BIOS rather that card readers which tend not to be.
    Also depends on what exactly this program is trying to do.
    Does it operate under windows or is it an OS in its own right ??
    Hi Curlyben,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry, but if you do not mind, I
    will briefly reply for now.

Yes, I do know about an USB
    flash drive - own 2 4GB ones.

Also, do know that some programs
    have there own Boot Configuration
    Data or something simliar, like Hitman
    Pro, which means that they will run
    during bootup for Vista!

But, the 4GB SDHC card that I want
    to utilise was bought before the USB
    flash drive.

Lastly, before I end this brief reply I
    will add 2 more 'things':

1. The BIOS on the motherboard of
    this laptop can read the old full
    speed USB 2 card reader which I
    use a lot of the time;

2. Asking, kindly, please be patient
    & wait for me to reply again as I
    have to reply to another 2 persons
    on another site who have replied to
    my query recently - have not replied
    to them yet and a bit of explaining to
    'do'!

Thank you for your patience in this matter
    and I do look forward to receiving a reply
    from you soon in the near future.

From

Mah-jonng
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2014, 10:23 AM
    First, please do not presume to dictate who can answer and how. There is a very good reason why people have asked you why you want to do this. Since, I believe its not possible, they are asking you why so they can offer more viable alternatives.

I believe its not possible because an SDHC card cannot be made bootable, at least not to Windows. For a device to be bootable to Windows, the Windows operating system has to be loaded on the device. On the other hand, you probably could boot to Linux. I don't know if that would help you or not.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 2, 2014, 05:56 PM
    How about an sdhc usb card reader? I have a few of them I use to transfer photos from my camera so I don't have to load all the camera crap on my PC or plug the camera in either. It's just a usb stick with a slot for the sdhc on the side and it gets read just like a flash drive (gets a drive letter). They're not expensive (office max around 10 bucks) and would work from the usb slot rather than the PC's card reader. I think it has to be formatted as fat32 for it to work from boot but since he wants to use a 4gig card the 4 gig limit should not be an issue. I have never used one as a boot device so I may just be blowing smoke here. What do you think Scottgem? Would it be that different from a floppy which can be boot-able without the windows OS on it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a panasonic TV and when I put my sdhc card in to play my music it only shows a [ 0 Answers ]

I have placed my sdhc card into the TV but only about half the albums are recgnised, I tried it on a friends TV and it showed all the albums on the card

4 GB SDHC card not read by Emachines windows xp desktop. [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my Emachines Windows XP Home Ed. Desktop recognize my 4GB SDHC memory card? The PC has a multi-card reader. It can read a 2Gb SD card but not the 4GB SDHC.

SDHC card questions [ 1 Answers ]

So I found the digital camera I want to buy, but I'm not sure which SDHC card to buy. Do I have to buy an SDHC card from the same company as the camera manufacturer? Do I need to buy anything to get the photos, and video off the card, and onto my PC? If the camera says it can go up to 4gb, can I...

When can a credit card company place a lien on my property and what does that mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. To make a complicated story short, I refinanced my house last year to keep it because me and my ex were getting a divorce and to get his name off the deed. I just found out recently that the title company did not have us sign the right deed at the time and I needed it corrected. So I finally...

View more questions Search