Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cooper33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2014, 09:15 PM
    HIPAA violation?
    I was terminated from a hospital that I had been employed at for 17 yrs. A fellow employee (C) in my department that I rarely see came into the department by letting herself into the front doors (Using id badge swipe). She and two other employees(M and S) went into one of the Ultrasound rooms and shut the door. I thought they were having a private conversation.We never shut the door to the ultrasund room when scanning a patient. When S came out of the room I heard a ping from the US machine as it was taking a picture. I then asked S if C was pregnant. The look on her face made me think that the scan was being done under the table. S told me that she did not know. That evening I was called in to work. C's husband works with us as well. We were talking and I asked if she was pregnant. We are a very close knit department. He said she was. I was very happy for them. We had a small discussion about it and then I left. C has shared very personal medical information with me in the past so I didn't even think aout asking him this question. The following day I was asked by M(the US tech who did C's exam) to look at the exam. She needed my opinion. I asked her if it was an actual on the books exam. She stated that it was. That was the first time that I knew she was a patient. It was a non-viable pregnancy. I never mentioned the exam again. Two months later I was terminated for a HIPAA violation. I was not asked my version. I was told that because I asked about her condition I violated HIPAA. Is this accurate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2014, 09:54 PM
    No, it is not, asking someone if a person was pregnant, is not a violation,

If you told someone she was pregnant, based on charts and medical data , it would be.

You should have appealed, for several reasons, first they are required to do a proper investigation, obviously this was not done, since you were not asked about it.

You would appeal this, you may want to consider hiring an attorney since you will want your job back, plus any back pay, and you want this cleared from your record. This may stop you from getting future jobs in the field.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2014, 05:31 AM
    While I mostly agree with Chuck, the way I read this, is you used knowledge gained while working at your job for personal purposes. That could be considered a HIPAA violation. I just don't think its close to enough to terminate a 17 yr employee on its own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I started a new job,upon trying to get me into the company's computer system so I could process medical insurance claims, they inadvertently had got me into a portion of the system, that normally would not have been accessible at this company's location. Upon the trainer sitting with me realizing...

HIPAA violation [ 6 Answers ]

A folder containing PHI was left on a desk was discovered during an audit. Would this be considered a HIPAA violation?

Hipaa violation [ 12 Answers ]

I took a drug test at work but opted to quit prior to the results,few days later a fellow employee told me the operation manager disclosed my results,I work for an ambulance company,If this information gets out I can never work in the field again,, I just don't know how to handle this any ideas?

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a medical Transcriptionist speaks to a patient whom he knows casually - And about whom he has transcribed a chart note - about that patient's physical condition, is the Transcriptionist in violation of HIPAA? . The patient did not directly tell the Transcriptionist about the physical condition...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation? If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy...

View more questions Search