Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 17, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    Research?

I would be delighted (as I have yet to figure out the intricacies of this forum as to how to work it) to answer any questions you may have on Buddhism. or even discuss it further-I won't argue with you though.

cheers all.
    There is the type of reaction and philosophy I have come to expect from Buddhists through the few contacts I have had with them.
    It sounds like you are fairly new to the forum so I will say welcome and I will look forward to reading your answers. I too am fairly new here and don't understand all the workings or how to go about what I would like to do except to say that I intend to post a question asking for a compact definition of Buddhism. I will look forward to seeing an answer from you and hope that it will start a learning experience for all.
    Blessings,
    Chaplain John
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Hi Chaplin John,

It would be very hard for me to give you a full rundown of buddhist thought considering the sheer amount of traditions and different schools of thought. I follow the tibetan tradition-however I am just a beginner (about 10 years) and have (in the big scheme of things) some knowledge. The subject is immense.

The major difference in the buddhist thought/religion is that the Buddha taught-he was simply a teacher, originally a Prince, however he observed the true nature of things-the true nature of things is an incredibly hard concept to explain, because no matter how hard a human tries-we place labels on things-therefore colouring them.

I have a short intro for you:

Buddhism was founded by an Indian prince named Siddharta Gautama around the year 500 BCE. According to tradition, the young prince lived an affluent and sheltered life until a journey during which he saw an old man, a sick man, a poor man, and a corpse. Shocked and distressed at the suffering in the world, Gautama left his family to seek enlightenment through asceticism. But even the most extreme asceticism failed to bring enlightenment.

Finally, Gautama sat beneath a tree and vowed not to move until he had attained enlightenment. Days later, he arose as the Buddha - the "enlightened one." He spent the remaining 45 years of his life teaching the path to liberation from suffering (the dharma) and establishing a community of monks (the sangha).

Today, there are over 360 million followers of Buddhism. Although virtually extinct in its birthplace of India, it is prevalent throughout China, Japan and Southeast Asia. In the 20th century, Buddhism expanded its influence to the West and even to western religions. There are now over one million American Buddhists and even a significant number of "Jewish Buddhists." Buddhist concepts have also been influential on western society in general, primarily in the areas of meditation and nonviolence.

Buddhist beliefs vary significantly across various sects and schools, but all share an admiration for the figure of the Buddha and the goal of ending suffering and the cycle of rebirth. Theravada Buddhism, prominent in Southeast Asia, is atheistic and philosophical in nature and focuses on the monastic life and meditation as means to liberation.

Mahayana Buddhism, prominent in China and Japan, incorporates several deities, celestial beings, and other traditional religious elements. In Mahayana, the path to liberation may include religious ritual, devotion, meditation, or a combination of these elements. Zen, Nichiren, Tendai, and Pure Land are the major forms of Mahayana Buddhism.

The main concepts in buddhism are the four noble truths, the noble eightfold path and the triple gem.

Maybe I might have to create a page somewhere to answer this?.

Buddhists do not "worship" the Buddha in the same way that a christian worships god.
    As he was just a man NOT a deity. He fasted for 40 days under a tree called a bhodi tree, after some excessive ascetic practise and reaslised that killing yourself by not eating or drinking or, eating and drinking too much-does not lead to any great knowledge-it's downright dangerous!

So we as buddhists follow "the middle path" and treat all with compassion and lovingkindness-not unlike Jesus by the way.

I'd love to go on but I will answer specifics only..
    Cheers all
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by insummer
    religion is personal. many religions are based on others and take writings from various places. I don't see why you can't do the same thing. I know many will get upset by this but I really don't think there is anything wrong with believing in Jesus and Buddha and whoever else you choose. By choosing to believe in a God or deity you do not have to take on every part of their teachings - in fact few religions do and many teachings contradict themselves anyway. Hindus have many thousands of deities and worship the ones of their own choice, believing that all paths lead to heaven. And there is no reason you cannot meditate on Jesus as well as Buddha, is there?
    Because The Buddha was a teacher-logically one should imagine that listening to a wise teacher should not cause you to drop your religion?-should it?

Part of the biggest issue with traditional religions is that generally-everyone says theirs is the best-you MUST disregard others. Buddhists believe that "try and see" if this is logical and works for you-because it worked for the buddha himself-then great, but don't if you think it is all a load of hogwash! I don't think any other religion that I know of, thinks the same.
    The dalai lama said recently "don't abandon your own religion to follow the buddhist path".
    nasar Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Another religion also here says try and see, hinduism say about this, you don't know the base of buddhism is upanishads. Enlightment in buddhism same called as nirvikalpakasamadhi in hinduism means - face to face with eternal, this is totally a supernatural stage.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
    The next thing I'd like to tell you about is the concept of karma-just about everybody has an interpretation of it. Mostly the major religions show karma or (kamma) to be a "repayment for sin" or something similar.

Concept #1

KarmaThe buddhist concept of karma is perhaps more in the vein of "cause and effect". The buddhist concept is perhaps even more closely related to scientific fact than spiritual consequences. Newton said (one of the "laws" of physics) that "for every action, there is a reaction". Other people throughout history have said "If you lay with dogs-you get fleas", these are both cause and effect concepts-no repayment for sin as such.

a good example might be, If I am a thief, I steal, I know others that steal, commit other crimes etc. If I continue to steal (cause) there is a very good chance that I would go to prison(effect) versus someone that doesn't steal-they would be highly unlikely to end up in prison.

Concept #2

Dependent origination
    There is a buddhist idea that nothing can exist without prior conditions (christians view this as perhaps "GOD")

For example, you cannot exist without food, food itself cannot exist without water or other nutrition, which cannot exist without etc. etc.
    This is called dependent origination EVERYTHING is dependent on something else.

cheers
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Sep 4, 2008, 05:48 AM
    I don't believe we have to claim a label. " I am a christian " or "I am a Buddhist." I refuse to do that. I am what I am. I believe you would be hard pressed to find that you are in agreement with ALL concepts of any religion. I operate with what resonates as truth in my heart. In fact I think it is rather presumptuous of any religion to assume their followers are 100% on board.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 10:50 AM
    For your basic knowledge, Buddha is not a god. He was a man of Indian royalty who set out to learn about life and spirituality, how human beings could reduce suffering and find happiness in life. :)

Incidentally, the real teachings of Jesus(not Paul) show the influence Buddhist wisdom has on Jesus.

Best wishes on the start of you gaining basic knowledge of Buddhist wisdom and the more spiritual(not literal) aspects of Christianity!

Regards,
    ResearchMoose Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Religousman3 View Post
    I am very confused. I believe in God and Jesus Christ being reborn and that he died for our sins. I am told that I cannot fully enter Buddhism because (1) Buddha is considered to be a false God in Christianity and (2) I want to enter Buddhism but keep my Christian faith both elements full blown. It is very difficult. I want to enter Buddhism but not pray and meditate to something that is considered false. Any advice, facts, suggestions?
    Hi Religiousman

This is my own, possibly incorrect, understanding of the matter, and is not promised to be an answer!! :)

Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion.
    Why not study whatever you feel like and then make your own mind up? No rush, nothing's set in stone.
    Buddha is not a God, but a kind of description of the perfection of wisdom and compassion that resides in all of us.
    Christianity studies and Buddhism studies do not have to be mutually exclusive. Consider Theology!
    Prayer often consists of thoughts directed at one's object of worship. There are variations.
    Meditation often consists of allowing the contents of the mind to settle. There are variations.

My only advice is don't stop asking questions.

Best regards,

RM
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 02:45 AM

Hello friend,
    Buddha is neither a God nor he claimed to be.
    He also not told about the life before the birth and after the death.
    He also never told about the Hell and Heaven.
    He also never told about the God and the Daemon.

That is because, he discovered the Truth of Life.
    And he believed that the thing that doesn't matter in our(present) life, why should be bother about them.
    Because nobody has saw a God or Daemon, nobody saw hell or heaven, nobody saw life before or after death.
    He is the only Enlightened Man on the Earth who never had suffering and ill.
    What we do when a scientist discovered a medicine that is more effective than today's medicines on any disease.
    We immediately go for that medicine, right?
    Buddha also discovered the medicine of "Happy Life" which will make one's life happy. But many of people don't know about this.

Whatever he gives us (in Buddhism) is always practical and in any condition proved to be true.
    It is the only religion of Buddha who gave us the power to live life with our way without suffering. And it is the only religion which give the power to mankind to change any principle(s) ( if not beneficial for mankind) according to the need.
    No other religion has a guts to do this. He showed the path to the Enlightened Life.
    If a person want to go to King's palace and he asked for the way to you. You told about the way, turns and all to him accurately, but he didn't reach his destiny appropriately.
    But another person has asked for the same path to you, you told him the same way, turns and all and he reached successfully to his destiny. Then what this two person differs??
    They differ from their intellectual capability.
    So Buddha showed only the path, which he knows very well but it depends on our capability how to reach their.
    Hope you got your answer.
    Bottom line is: Religion is a personal opinion and also reflect our life. So while shopping we are very conscious to what to take and what not, whether it will long with us or not, etc.
    So while shopping for life's need please look for a best religion which always show you the right path.
    Thank you.
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ResearchMoose View Post
    Hi Religiousman

This is my own, possibly incorrect, understanding of the matter, and is not promised to be an answer!!! :)

Why not study whatever you feel like and then make your own mind up? No rush, nothing's set in stone.
    Buddha is not a God, but a kind of description of the perfection of wisdom and compassion that resides in all of us.
    Christianity studies and Buddhism studies do not have to be mutually exclusive. Consider Theology!
    Prayer often consists of thoughts directed at one's object of worship. There are variations.
    Meditation often consists of allowing the contents of the mind to settle. There are variations.

My only advice is don't stop asking questions.

Best regards,

RM
    HI,

I just got confused here, can you just help me to explain your statement more clearly.

I wanted to know the difference between PHILOSOPHY and RELIGION.

Waiting for reply,

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Historical events and figures of Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Daoism [ 9 Answers ]

What are some Historical events and figures?

Christanity [ 82 Answers ]

How has Christanity, a faith based on the teachings of one text(the Bible), divided into so many denominations?

Buddhism question [ 13 Answers ]

I have been studying the dharma, and have recently finished reading the tibetan book of the dead. They say if we are an enlightened individual we will be liberated, and are born no more. But most of us are born again either in a god like realm, or as a human again, or an animal, a hungry ghost or...

Buddhism [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know a little bit about buddhism. I am not a buddhist but someone left a very nice buddha statue and what appears to be two lion statues at my door. Also along with these they left other little statues of buddha in different poses and on the bottom of them it reads wealth, money,...

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

View more questions Search