Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lina435 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2014, 09:49 AM
    How can I get back my lost file
    I was writing content for some webpages in Word 2010 but my PC get suddenly shutdown. After 1 hour I managed somehow to keep it on but now I can't find my word file in that folder, I searched it by file name but still I did not get it.<br>May I know that how could I get back my file ?<br>Is it any other way to search it in Windows PC ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2014, 10:02 AM
    Did you save it? Did you have the autosave settings set fairly low to capture stuff?

THere is a possibility it never got saved to disk.. and if it wasn't there is nothing to recover.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
    Did you try opening Word and looking for Recent files?
    jamesdann Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
    You should not be worried about your Word document if you would have saved it before PC failure.
    If you had saved it then you can get back in many ways like ScottGem has already told you one method- to look for Recent files.

You can search your file by other following methods:
    1. Search for word backup files.
    2. Search for auto recover files.
    3. Search for temporary files.

Feb 27, 2014, 09:01 AM
    Thanks all for your reply.
    I am used to press Ctrl+S whenever I finish writing a paragraph. I am not sure about the last paragraph where I was writing but rest of the texts have been saved.
    Hey smoothy, what do you mean by autosave settings and how to do it ?
    I looked for recent files but that file was not there. jamesdann, I do not know these methods you are talking about.
    I want to just get my file back without spending money.

Feb 27, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Autosave Documents In Microsoft Word

Mar 3, 2014, 10:13 AM
    I know now how could I save my file through autosave. But can anyone please tell me that how could I get my that lost file ?

Mar 3, 2014, 10:52 AM
    If it wasn't saved and you can't find it on your hard drive or in the Recycle Bin, then its gone.
    jamesdann Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2014, 03:59 AM
    As you have said that you are used to save your document whenever you finish a paragraph. So, it means your document is saved and it is somewhere in your hard disk. You just need to find out your document.

How to recover a lost Word document
    Please open this link and follow described methods to search your file.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 4, 2014, 06:26 PM
    Usually Work will put a dialogue box over on the left side telling you that there is a document this it recovered and asking you which version (recovered version or current version) you want to use.

The fact that you say you were saving the document by using the "Ctrl S" means that you have to have given that document a name, or Word saved the document using the opening few words as the document name.

Look in your documents folder and check the dates of files in that folder. If a file was created on the date of the failure, make sure that you know the name of the file is correct. If you don't recognize the file name, chances are very good that that's the file you are looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I open my video file when it was lost after transferring the cd-rw in the comp [ 5 Answers ]

I was trying to transfer the video from the cd-rw to the PC. After doenloading the file I was unable to open. Now The video was not available when I return to dvd camcorder to view the video

What form do I file with IRS to take back my taxes they took for back child support [ 7 Answers ]

My ex pays child support sporadicly and never a large amount for three children, he owes 4 years of back child support. This year I received his taxes. Now 2 months later they are telling me he filed a report with IRS that reversed his taxes being given to me and gave his taxes back to him. Now...

Can I sue my employer if they lost my employee file? [ 4 Answers ]

I have reasons to believe my employer lost my employee file and/or at least some relevant forms in the file. If the employer loses my employee file, can I sue for damages? Are they responsible in any way for losing it?

My attorney lost my medical malpractice file what recourse do I have? [ 4 Answers ]

A Receipt, Release and settlement agreement was entered into via mediation in March of 2005. As a remedy of the default the attorney was suppose to notify the defendant of the default and impose late fees in which he failed to do on numerous occasions over the past 2-43 yrs. . My attorney also,...

Need to get lost file back [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I can get the file snmaster.idx back for AOL.

View more questions Search