Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2005, 11:58 AM
    Can anyone solve this simple question?
    Can anybody explain how to solve this question?

70% of students answered question A correctly, 55% of students answered question B correctly, 20% of students answered neither question correctly. What is the percentage of students answered both question A and B correctly?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 19, 2005, 05:30 AM
    45%

Ok, I guess you would like an explanation too.

Here goes. Lets say that X is the number of all people who are in this test (answering questions). Now let A be the number of people who answered to question A correctly, so A = 0.7*X, which means 70% of X. In the same manner, B = 0.55*X. Let W be the number of people who answered both given questions wrong. So W = 0.2*X. Now X consists of people who answered to A correctly, those who answered B correctly, and those who answered nothing correctly. But beware: Those that answered A correctly MIGHT HAVE answered B correctly too. So it's not a simple addition. Let's call A&B those who answered A and B questions correctly. Then we can say that X consists of people who answered ONLY A correctly, those who only answered B correctly, those who answered BOTH A AND B correctly, and those who know nothing. So X = A + B + W - A&B. Think about it a bit, it makes perfect sense. So, with that in mind we have:
    A&B = A + B + W - X = 0.7*X + 0.55*X + 0.2*X - 1*X = 0.45*X
    And that means that 45% of people answered both A and B questions correctly.
    Glipto Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 10:03 PM
    P(A) = 0.70
    P(B) = 0.55
    P(A' & B') = 0.20

P(A & B) =??

--------------------

P(A & B) = 1 - P ((A & B)') = 1 - P(A' U B') (De Morgan)
    = 1 - [ P(A') + P(B') - P(A' & B') ]
    = 1 - [ 0.30 + 0.45 - 0.20]
    = 0.45

Yeah, 45%
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Mar 26, 2005, 10:29 PM
    P(A) + P(A') = 1.

P(A) = 0.70 = 1 - P(A')
    P(A') = 0.30

P(B) = 0.55 = 1- P(B')
    P(B') = 0.45

P(A' & B') = 0.20

1 - (0.30 + 0.45 - 0.20) = 1 - 0.55 = 0.45
    note: you are subtracting the 0.20 because it is in both P(A') and P(B'), because it is overlapped.

if you have done venn diagrams:
    let a venn diagram of 4 sections explain.
    section E = all A'
    section F = all B'
    section G = intersection of A' with B'
    section H = all within the universe outside the two circles A', B'
    circle A' = section E,G
    circle B' = section F,G
    so to determine the area of the portion not in circle E or circle F.
    subtract circle E and circle F from the universe, subtracting section G from the area of circle F before subtracting from the universe, so that area of section G is not counted twice (because it is in both circle E and in circle F).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple equal sign question! [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the problem. I have a proportions question. I have it simplified down to a-12=24. For all I know, a may equal 36. Is there a "might be equal to" sign? If so, describe it, please. Thanks! :D

Simple opt --> h1b Tax Question(s) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a single little Canadian citizen with these characteristics: OPT from March 23, 2005 to August 17, 2005. H1B from September 17, 2005 to present. 1) Does this qualify me for dual residecy? 2) For two pay periods while I was on OPT (March/April), Social Security and ...

Simple Tax Question [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a simple tax question. I was on OPT until September 2005 and my H1 started from October 1st, 2005. I wanted to know what forms do I need to file and what deductions can I claim? I started paying social security and medicare taxes from October 1st. Thank you. Himanshu.

Simple Rotational motion question [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me. The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10section4.rhtml I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page). The problem comes when they use Newton's second law...

View more questions Search