Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Feb 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
    How can annual interest pd on fixed mortgage differ so much?
    I have a fixed rate mortgage, 30 yrs. No balloon payment.

Monthly payment is $918 but I always pay $1000 each month with the overage I indicate as going to principal, I have no mortgage insurance (as I had 20% down) and I have no escrow of taxes and I always pay it approx a week before it is due. No exceptions. This is now beginning year 7 of the loan.

I have noticed that when I get my annual statement of mortgage interest for tax purposes the amout of interest paid for the year varies greatly. In 2010 I had about $8200, in 2011 $9200 in 2012 $7500 in 2013 $8600 (rounded figures).

I am perplexed as to how on earth I can be paying MORE annual interest (just in the last year $1100 more) when in fact I have a smaller principal upon which that interest is being calculated with each subsequent year? This, to me, seems mathematically impossible. Even if I figure OK some months I may have more days accruing interest depending on what date my payment is received but considering my habit is always to pay a week (or more) in advance of the payment due date I would think that would even out month to month ver 12 months and certainly shouldn't cause a $1000 increase in interest paid.

Is there something about amortization of a loan that I am not understanding?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2014, 12:34 PM
    The only thing I can suggest is maybe the dates resulting in interest accruing differently in alternating years.

Do you have Excel? You can use the amortization template to see how the interest payments should go, then go to your lender and ask why it doesn't match.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Feb 24, 2014, 09:34 AM
    Thank you, Scottgem!

While waiting for answer, I found it myself. I pay roughly $650 in interest each month. What happened is some years my Jan payment if made early got into previous year recorded for end of Dec and sometimes not. In a year where the Jan payment was credited to previous year and the same thing had happened the previous Jan, I was therefore missing or gaining 2 approx $650 interest payments... I went back and looked at all my monthly statements...

This is interesting because if I maximize the interest paid in one year this way in year where I can itemize tax deductions that will increase my interest paid for that year by over $1000... So this was good question anyway, for what it may show others... I guess...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2014, 09:41 AM
    That's basically what I was thinking might have happened. However, you can't count on that $650/mth in interest. The monthly interest accrued should decrease with each payment since its based on the outstanding balance. However, some years you may be credited with 13 payments and the next year with only 11. That would count for the difference.

Tax advisors often advise clients to make their January payments early if they need to get an extra deduction for the year. Of course that means the next year you get a lower deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Compounded interest and annual interest [ 10 Answers ]

1. You invest $100 in a savings account paying an 8% interest rate compounded annually. How much will you have in the account after 1 year? How much will you have in the account after three years? 2. Assume you will receive $126 dollars in three years. How much is that future payment worth now...

Can I deduct mortgage interest from a US Bank Mortgage on a Mexico Home? [ 1 Answers ]

We own one home, and it's in Mexico. My wife lives there full time, and I commute to and from the States. We have a mortgage from a US bank in dollars for this home in Mexico. Can we deduct the interest payments for this home on our tax returns?

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Annual interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I have an invest today, and I need an amount in 21 years. What interest rate must I earn? I need 202,000 in 10 years, What do I need to invest at the end of each year @ 11% to meet my needs?

View more questions Search