Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    W TERBECKI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2005, 11:52 AM
    Startup
    It Takes 3 Minutes For My Computer To Start Up. I Believe It's Because I Have Too Many Start-ups In The Bottom Right Of My Screen. How Do I Know Which Of These I Can Remove,and How Do I Remove Them??
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2005, 05:36 PM
    Are you talking about the start button in the lower left corner of your screen, how fast is your processor and what OS. If its 98 most likely it's a slow processor, if its 95 you might as well forget about it, you can make a new folder and throw all of it into the folder or make a few folders holding diff. things you sort out, that or it could be a virus slowing you down but its hard to tell since I don't know the processor speed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2005, 07:29 PM
    There's really no way we can tell since many things may be needed by your PC. It would help if you tell us what version of Windows you have. But you may be able to go to Start>Run type in MSCONFIG and go to the startup tab. Uncheck anything you don't thnk you need and reboot. If you need it it will tell you.

You might also want to run virus and spyware scans and clean your machine out.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Start Up
    Hi,
    I will need your windows version, like xp, win98SE, etc, before I can answer your question very well.
    Meantime, go to Start/Run, then type in MSCONFIG.
    Click on the StartUp tab at the top of that window.
    Look to the left, and scroll down to see all the things that are starting up when you boot up the computer.
    You can left click on any item (removes the checkmark), then click on Apply, and OK. Then reboot the computer.
    Things you really don't need, is anything with references like Auto download updates, auto start ms word.
    You can always go back and re-check an item it you need to.

Also, Right click on the items in your system tray (usually by the clock). It will tell you what it is. All I have running all the time are:
    Volume control, clock, Norton Antivirus, and my CallWave internet answering machine.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    PS, also, do a Disk Clean, if you have XP. If you have win98se, then do a scandisk and defrag, in safe mode.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2005, 08:11 AM
    Hmmm, do I hear an echo? :)
    W TERBECKI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 02:49 PM
    Startup
    Thank You All For Your Help. Your Suggestions Did Help Me Clear Up My Mess.I Appreciate It.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fservice.exe at startup [ 12 Answers ]

I am running xp home edition. I am unable to launch most programs. The ones that I can open I have to right click the mouse and "run as" and uncheck the "protect the computer and data from activity" to get them to work. I also get a message at startup that Windows cannot find fservice.exe ...

Startup problem [ 5 Answers ]

XP home sometimes hangs or freezes on startup before reaching "the blue windows is loading screen "

Startup.. [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Yes guys need help... I can't stop a folder from opening when the windows startup... but this folder isn't like this before... I wonder why...

Startup what's going on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Why does my computer tell me setup is updating configuration files every time I start up regardless and takes about 2mins to get past this before loading windows, I am using win98se. :confused:

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search