Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlemama5511 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2014, 11:24 AM
    Hipaa law violations in the workplace
    I work in a mental health center and have a coworker that recently was telling everyone that when she was 14 her mother had brought her in to the center and that she had a diagnosis. My coworker was laughing about the situation. I told her she could look it up to find out what it was. I later did so and told her as well as those she was joking about it with. Because we are all employees and have access to all of the records is this a violation?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
    I would have to, under the circumstances, yes it was a serious violation of the HIPAA rules. You should have stayed out of it, it was none of your business and certainly not to inform everyone involved what your coworker's diagnosis was. It may have seemed like a joke at the time, but this could have serious repercussions for you if your coworker starts thinking about and reports you. But the damage is done now. Never use the institutions personal records for a laugh.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2014, 01:10 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly with tickle. In my humble opinion, you violated one of the basic regulations that brought about HIPAA in the first place. I would be very surprised if your company's policy doesn't specifically state that accessing files for which you have no assigned task, is a clear violation. You most likely have access to all records, but only have authority to access records when it required in conjunction with your officially assigned duties.
    The best course for you is for you to read your company's policy and the basic requirements of HIPAA, or find another line of work.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 21, 2014, 01:28 PM
    It isn't just a violation, it's unethical at every level, including your personal relationship with her. I hope you take some time to have a serious talk with yourself, because it should have been intuitive that it was wrong, regardless of HIPAA or who was laughing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 22, 2014, 12:02 AM
    This is a blatant violation of the HIPAA laws. It is quite possible that you could lose your job over this if there is a paper trail on the computer program you are using, and I'm certain there is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Examples of HIPAA Law Violations [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is living in a nursing where my sister-in-law works. She does not have DPOA-I do. She called me and released information regarding a scheduled procedure for my mother. Is this a HIPPA violation?

HIPAA violations in the workplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse and am employed by a large chain of rehab/skilled nursing facilities. I recently resigned and stated in my resignation the I appreciated the opportunity and experience the facility provided me but I had accepted a better offer. It was brought to my attention that another nurse in a...

Hipaa violations in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter works for a large insurance carrier in NY. They were in training and utilizing records of current incoming benefit question phone calls. The recorded conversation that was played for the training class was that of my daughter's and a mental health facility where she is seeking...

Hipaa law violations [ 10 Answers ]

I was seen by a doctor and was given the results of my tests. My husband's aunt has the same doctor and had an appointment with him later that day. The doctor told her my results and medical history. My husband and I are the only ones to receive any information about my medical history (past,...

Hipaa law violations by fire departments [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a fire department as a PARAMEDIC, can a captain of mine go through an ENS run form and contact a patient of mine , if he wasn't on scene of the call in the first place?

View more questions Search