Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gunsaulus Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
    F1-H1B- Student Loan deduction in 1040NR
    Hi,

I was on F-1 Visa until September 30th 2006 and converted to H-1B on October 1st 2006. I am using CINTAX to file my reutns and it determined that my tax filing status is non-resident alien and it filled out form 1040NR for me. However, it did not prompt me to enter the student loan interest payment (reported on 1098-E). The support center said I am not eligible to claim this since I was not on an F-1 visa as of 31st December 2006. Could you please let me know whether I am aligible for the student loan interest deduction while filing 1040NR? I did not find anything in the IRS publications that says otherwise.

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
    No, What the support cent is NOT true.

You CAN claim student loan interest UNLESS you earned too much money (not likely if you were a student for most of the year).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

F-1 Student with Mortgage 1040NR or 1040? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a student (F-1) from central america last year I got a mortgage (Home) and I'm paying interest, I did the calc using a tax software. If I fill the 1040 I get a return of about $1600, but if I fill the 1040NR I got only $200!! I always have used form 1040NR and I was wondering if I can use...

Student loan deduction [ 6 Answers ]

Hi For the year 2005 I was on F1 status. I wanted to deduct my student loan payments. I paid a total interest of $1425 in year 2005. I tried filling the worksheet provided with form 1040 nr ez instructions. According to their calcluations Ican only deduct $ 133 out of 1425 I paid as interest. ...

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

View more questions Search