Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 04:26 PM
    Who's going to take care of the dogs?
    So my husband and I are saving up to take the kids on a 10 day camping trip to our favorite location (haven't been there for over 10 years) this summer. The problem is, it's camping. I have two dogs, neither have ever been camping because we haven't been since they've been with us. My dogs from before were avid campers, these two aren't.

The campsite we're going to is in a town, the beach is across the street. We'd be spending a lot of time at the beach, that's why we go to this location. Dogs are not allowed on the beach. That means they'd be stuck back at the trailer, and the campsite is not in the woods, your neighbor is touching distance beside you. I don't think the dogs would handle it well. They'd either be on leash outside, with a shady spot provided by us (it gets very hot where we're going), or in the trailer, AC running. Either way I'm pretty sure they'd go nuts, bark all day, which isn't really accepted at that site, and they'd be miserable.

My husband really wants to take the dogs along. I don't. It's not that I don't want to have them there, I just think they'd be miserable. There really are no pet friendly places to take them. They'd be stuck at the campsite all the time, and we wouldn't be there with them. I think they'd be far happier staying home.

That's where the issue comes in. If we don't take them, who can I get to care for them? None of our friends or family can. The best solution would be to have someone come stay in our home with them while we're gone, that way the bunnies, birds, and gerbils, would also be cared for, even though I already have a person to come look in on them as they don't need someone to constantly be there, just someone to make sure they have food and water. But that person can't stay in our home, she's just a teenager, a neighbor who I trust. The dogs need someone there for more than just food and water. They need to go out, they need to go for walks, they need someone there at night. The problem is, Rascal, or border collie, has issues with strangers, and so do I.

I was thinking about looking for a house/pet sitter, but I'm worried about that. I won't personally know this person. What if they don't properly care for my animals? How can I know for sure that they're reliable? I looked into kennels (which I really don't like, and hate the idea of).

Anyone have any ideas? I really don't think that taking them with us is a good idea, not only for them, but for us as well. I feel that if we take them, I'll likely stay at the campsite while everyone else goes and enjoys the vast activities available where we're going, and I'd miss out on the very reason I'm saving for this vacation, which is to spend time with my family, especially my kids. I want to be there at the beach, I want to be there when we go horseback riding in the mountains, I want to float on a tire tube with them when we go to the canal, I want to walk the streets of the town with them and window shop. I don't want to be stuck at the campsite because of the dogs.

I'm at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas I haven't thought of? Any options that will allow us to go sans dogs, but that gives me the peace of mind that my dogs are safe while we're away?
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

Feb 20, 2014, 05:10 PM
    We leave our dogs with my father in law. Luckily he is not a camper and lives near by.

Why wouldn't you ask the neighbor teen to do it? She is already going to look after the other animals.

I remember when I was 15 my best friend was in Florida with her bio mom and her dad and step mom asked me to house sit while they where away in Michagin visiting family. I house/dog sat for 2weeks.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 05:10 PM
    Pet sitters can be quite reliable, but you really really really really need references, preferably from someone you know so you can gauge the quality of the reference. I know people that would say Ty Pennington (from Home Makeover) is an 'okay' contractor and other people who would say they'd give him their children. Same guy, same job, but different people rate things differently.

The best reference is, of course, a dog the potential caretaker has sat for. If they can handle a Scottie or a Chow, Rascal and Chewy will be no problem.
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 05:44 PM
    Thanks guys.

@Busymomma. The only issue with asking the teen neighbor, is that the dogs are a lot more work than the bunnies, birds and gerbils. For those critters it's a once a day visit, make sure they have food, water, tidy their cages, and then leave. Yes, they'd all love to be taken out of their cages and have some free time, but for 10 days, they'll be fine without it. The dogs are a lot more work.

I need someone that will be here. Not all day, the dogs are used to both my hubby and me working, so 8 - 9 hours a day during the day, with no human contact, they can live with. But they've never ever been alone all night, and I really can't ask a teenager to spend the night at our house for 10 days, even if her house is only 4 houses away from us.

@ Cats. My main concern is Rascal. When Mogrann and her husband came to visit, it was very apparent that he has fear issues with strangers. My bad. I didn't socialize him properly, even though I thought I had. Looking back, he's always been a fearful dog. My worry would be a stranger coming in, and without us there to intervene, to calm him, he might bite. I don't think he would, because I know my dog, but I've never been away from him. Who knows what he'd do with his fear of strangers if a familiar face isn't there to make sure it doesn't escalate to something bad?

Feb 20, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Well, you have named all of your options.

Looks like you might be taking your fur babeis with you.
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    Well, you have named all of your options.

Looks like you might be taking your fur babeis with you.
    Ya, it does look that way. :(

I hate that for them, and for me. But really, I don't see a lot of other options, which really sucks. I just want the best for all of us. Maybe the best idea is not going on vacation at all, even though it's long overdue, and I'm running out of time with my kids, before they no longer want to vacation with mom and dad. :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:06 PM
    Go to a dog-friendly site instead? Or on a dog-friendly vacation?

Feb 20, 2014, 06:06 PM
    Try looking into camping places that are dog friendly. There are tons in Washington state.

You can't leave your dog unattended, but at least you can take the to the beaches and on hikes.

Then you kind of win both ways.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
    I leave my dog at a kennel when I go away. I looked around and found a place that isn't all that bad for him. He can go inside or outside when he wants, they play with him, and they feed him. There might be something like that near you.
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    Try looking into camping places that are dog friendly. There are tons in Washington state.

You can't leave your dog unattended, but at least you can take the to the beaches and on hikes.

Then you kind of win both ways.
    Busymomma, Washington isn't an option. I'm in Canada, and our vacation spot is in Canada. One reason we're going there is that I've been going there since before I even moved to Canada, and hubby has gone there since he hooked up with me. It's paradise in Canada. :)

It's a place I've gone to every year since I can remember. Going out of Canada isn't an option, I have no passport. I'm a German citizen, living in Canada since before I was 4 years old. Getting a passport right now, is expensive. So we can go on vacation in Canada, or I can spend all our savings to get my passport so we can stay home because we can't afford to go after I spend the money on my passport. Long story. Short version is that I can't get a passport where I am now. I'd have to travel to get one, and spend thousands just on the travel. It's not doable right now. :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:26 PM
    You are in WA? My sister has 2 labs and lives in Bellingham, WA, and has a good place for the dogs.
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I leave my dog at a kennel when I go away. I looked around and found a place that isn't all that bad for him. He can go inside or outside when he wants, they play with him, and they feed him. There might be something like that near you.
    That's an option I've considered. A lot. My only fear is Rascal. Rascal really is the only reason I'm afraid of any of the options. Mogrann, from this site, and her husband, came to visit last month. Rascal didn't react well. He wasn't aggressive, but every time they moved, he'd bark, backed off. Totally a fear thing. It was a shock to me.

They were in our home, and we made every effort to let him know they were welcome and his response to them was not only unnecessary, but not acceptable. He got better, but not great. When they left after a weekend visit, Rascal was doing better than he was in the beginning, but not great by any means. He still showed many signs of fear.

Putting him in a kennel, in my mind, would be even worse.

Feb 20, 2014, 06:35 PM
    @joy; yes, I am in WA. Just south of Olympia. We are prood parents of an 8 year old pitt bull. There a great places to take your dogs in WA.

@alty; I completely understand that you can not leave Canada. But in order to enjoy you vacation,or go on vacation at all, you may have to sacrifice going to your favorite camping place.

That is why I suggested looking into different camp grounds that are dog friendly. :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 09:11 PM
    Busymomma, the thing is, the campground is dog friendly. They have a designated doggy potty area, a doggy run area. The only stipulation the actual campground has is that your dogs don't bark all day while you're away, since there are people that will be at the campsite while you're at the beach, and vice versa.

It's not the campsite that's the issue, it's the fact that the dogs will be stuck there all day because the activities we wish to pursue aren't dog friendly. For us the campsite is a place to sleep, a place to eat breakfast and dinner (lunch is eaten on the beach), and at night, a place to play board games. The rest of the time we're not at the campsite, but the dogs will be.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 08:32 AM
    Check out the kennels in your area (actually go there). That seems like the best solution since, no matter where you vacation, the dogs will somehow be a liability for whatever reason. Even do an overnight try-out with both dogs at a kennel, or especially Rascal. Kennels have turned into a vacation spot for dogs and offer massages and treats and personal attention from the humans who work there. Rascal and Chewy could end up having more fun than you do!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 08:50 AM
    I don't understand why the dogs will have a hard time at night without you. Forgive me, it's the written word and I've been up for 20 hours, but they are fine without you during the day. What's different about the night? Do they sleep in the bed with you? If so, then I understand. If not, then they should be fine.

We currently have 3 dogs, usually 4. We go out of town once a year for a week at a time and have someone who is familiar with the dogs to come to the house two times a day. They are fed, watered, and walked. Rooms that they don't need to be in are kept closed yet they are free to roam the rest of the house.

Are any of Syd's or Jared's friends friendly with the dogs so that they don't act like Rascal did when Susan came to visit? If so, that might be your answer.
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
    J, sadly, and don't tell anyone on the dog forums this, they do sleep with us. For the first year plus Rascal slept in a crate, then he outgrew it, and we didn't have the money for a new one, so we put out a dog bed for him. For a long time he slept in that dog bed, now he sleeps with us, as does Chewy. Makes for a very crowded bed, especially since they always sleep on my side.

When R is on nights they can't settle down until he's home. They won't settle unless we're both there. I think they would if our friend would stay with them, but he's really not an option, even if he doesn't come with us on the trip, which he normally does. He just works too far away to stay at our home while we're gone.

I've been looking into kennels, even called my vet and asked if they could recommend something. I'm looking into a few things. I'd still prefer that they stay at home, and someone come here to be with them. I have a while to work it out, maybe find a pet sitter and start inviting him/her over now so the dogs can get used to him/her. I just hope it doesn't end up costing an arm and a leg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandmother will not take care of her house or dogs? HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother has 3 dogs. She used to take good care of them and over the years has quit. I have cleaned up their poop, washed them, and cleaned her house as well (She wont do any of it) for the last 3 years. She leaves her dishes out until the next time I visit (She lives in another city about 3...

My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes [ 7 Answers ]

We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down

Splitting Payments for child care - do I pay directly to ex wife or day care? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have been separated, but not legally; yet. Payments for child care come from her paycheck. I pay her half in a check at the beginning of each month. What is the best choice for tax purposes - to continue paying her half at the beginning of each month, or to begin paying the child's...

Why doesn't the courts care about the kids but only care about the exs [ 7 Answers ]

My ex lives at home with her mother brother and father and her two kids .one of them being mine . She can not work she can not drive she doesn't bathe or feed the kids cps goes over there once a week and says everything is fine what should I do . The courts don't care as long as they get there...

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

View more questions Search