Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsRottn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2014, 03:02 PM
    My great uncle was a sing sing prisoner in 1940
    My great uncle was a prisoner back in 1940 according to the 1940 census. I live in FL and do not know where he was originally arrested or convicted. How do I find records telling me what he was in for and for how long?

Seems our family is just full of secrets and I am left to research on my own and most have taken their secrets to the grave with them. Any suggestions are appreciated
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Prison & Reformatory Records | New York State Archives

I don't think you have a good chance, sorry. Knowing more about his earlier past would lead you to town newspapers and local police records.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 05:29 PM
    Some secrets are best kept that way. They probably did you a favour.
    MsRottn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2014, 07:05 PM
    I can understand where some may prefer not to know the truth. However...
    Secrets are no favor. Sooner or later the bones start to fall out of the closet.
    I'd rather rip the bandage off instead of it being slowly tugged at for the next 20 years.

I am 90% sure of why he was in prison but would prefer confirmation instead of speculations and half truths.
    If we are to document our family and its history, we should not just "pick and choose" what to acknowledge & ignore what
    A few members may not like. I prefer to know the truth, warts and all instead of some dark secret come out in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sing sing former inmates [ 1 Answers ]

My grandfather was in sing sing prison in 1940 How do I get records of why he was there.

Musical artists who sing 'How great is our God' ? [ 1 Answers ]

What other musical artists sing "How great is our God" in addition to Chris Tomlin?

How to sing better [ 4 Answers ]

Im in a band and I can't find things on what to do before practice like drinks or using mouthwash to clear my throat or what to drink during practice to keep it moist but not sugar blockage or flem so please tell me or give some tips on that

Sing Sing Prison [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a list anywhere that list all the people who were executed at Sing Sing Prison.

View more questions Search