Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davet2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2014, 03:03 PM
    Am I a military veteran?
    See I was in the army for 3 months in 1987 and was discharged with a dd-214 for medical reasons. Actually I broke my shoulder and it was deformend after healing and was told that I wouldn't be able to function in a proper manner for the army anymore because of it. So through the VA I was able to go to school and I collecet 30% pay. Also, then Ronald Reagan came out and said that anyone collecting 30% pay or less was cut off more or less.

So my question is do I still deserve to be able collect any benefits through the VA. I've never tried after school.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2014, 04:22 PM
    From Congressional Research Service:
    "To be eligible for most VA benefits, the claimant must be a veteran or, in some circumstances, the survivor or the dependent of a veteran. By statute, a “veteran” is defined as a 'person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable'.”

If you received other than a dishonorable discharge, you are a veteran.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 11:23 PM
    Call or visit your local VA office. Or go online.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 02:45 AM
    The question is not if you are a veteran, the question is , if you are entitled to benefits.

There is a procedure not only if you qualifty but a percent. Without knowledge of what you were collecting at the time previous and how the 30 percent was decided.

The only way you will know now, is to actually apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military movie / military school [ 2 Answers ]

The movie is about military school and a strict boss / sergeant. He is rude and mean to recruits. I think its 1980-1990's movie. Do you guys now any movies like this?

Am I considered a Military Veteran? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the Guam Army National Guard from April 1986 through April 1991. I am trying to refinance my home mortgage. Do I qualify as a VA?

Am I a veteran [ 1 Answers ]

Am I a veteran if I served only 9 months during gulf war in 1994 an received a general discharge?

Military to Military Marriage Different Home of Records [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I both are active duty military and we have two different "Home of Records". My husband is a NC resident and I am a TN resident (no state tax) I am trying to file MFJ for federal. Everything went well until I went to file state taxes for him. How do I do this? Can I file federal...

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

View more questions Search