Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisa Catt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2014, 07:20 AM
    How does one go about evicting a person living in a home that doesn't pay rent?
    Mother passed away and gave right of survivorship to myself. During the time my mom was living, my youngest brother was living with her and not paying any rent nor helping towards any bills. My mother passed away in January 2013. Since that time I have given my brother over a year to get the estate settled. I have asked him to move out of this house as it was owned by my mother and myself and when she died the house became mine by "right of survivorship".
    The house is currently on the market for sale, but my brother is making it very difficult for the real estate to get into the house to take pictures to post online in order to help sell the house and not returning phone calls or not allowing the real estate to come and show the house.

Since he is not paying rent, what is the process of having his evicted.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tim
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2014, 08:12 AM
    OK, he is a renter, a tenant, just treat him as such.
    Does not matter if he is not paying rent. If you wanted him to pay, give him a 30 day notice that rent is starting.

The fact he does not pay rent, means nothing, he is treated just like a renter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2014, 08:50 AM
    First, have you had the deed changed? Even though you were listed at JTROS, you need to take a copy of the death certificate to the county registrar of deeds and have a new deed recorded in your name only.

While that is being done, you need to give you your brother 30 days notice to vacate (though that amount of time may be different depending on local laws). If he doesn't vacate by the deadline, then you will have to go to court for an eviction order.

But I'm going to suggest a different approach. Its often easier to sell an occupied house than an empty one. I would discuss this with your realtors. It might be better if you reach an agreement with your brother to cooperate with the realtors.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 03:39 PM
    First, have you had the deed changed? Even though you were listed at JTROS, you need to take a copy of the death certificate to the county registrar of deeds and have a new deed recorded in your name only.
    This is incorrect. It is completely unnecessary for the OP to have a new deed recorded unless the OP is selling or financing the property.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2014, 04:38 PM
    Umm, the OP said the house is currently on the market.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother has a couple living at her home who do not pay rent. [ 4 Answers ]

The couple has lived there for 3 years. They do not pay rent take care of the home or help with yard work. They occasionally accompany my mother to the dr whomis her dr as well. Recently we had an insrance claim and now this couple wants to be reimbursed . They claim most of the things damaged...

Evicting a person who lives in your nj home? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NJ.. my wife and I separated in 2008, to cover bills, she allowed a friend to move in and gave her a basic lease. My wife does not own the home, I am the primary owner on the mortgage. Anyway, this woman she allowed to move in is a horder, she has stored an unregistered and uninsured...

A person who bought the land to construct his home for living is subject to pay Zakah [ 1 Answers ]

There is guy who paid Zakah for the jewellery, but he is also having a land of 10 lacks which he had bought to construct his own house. He is staying in rental house at present. He is having loan of 2 lacks. So He want to know whether he have to pay Zahak on this land which he bought to construct...

Evicting uninvited person from owner's home [ 3 Answers ]

I am a California resident and here is my problem and I co-own a small home. Several months ago a woman I met lost her home to foreclosure and has no job. She told me she was being evicted from interim housing situation. I told her she could stay with me under certain conditions - one, she must...

Evicting a rental person that doesn't have a lease [ 2 Answers ]

We have a lady who is renting our house in Fl and it was under Section 8. Well this lady was suppose to be moved out of our house on the 31st of Aug. We have just learned that she is still living there without a lease and the property management that we have hired has not done anything to get her...

View more questions Search