Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artjenn9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2014, 02:36 PM
    Dogs afraid to eat
    My dog had a about with gastritis, throwing up and all. She is over this; but is afraid to eat. I can not get her to eat Seams to have no interest in eating at all. What do I do?
    Ratchet Spanner Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Feb 15, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Try making a thin stew/soup mix with broth/soft dog food and feed her just a little bit on a spoon from her bowl. It will take a while to wean her to reg. dog food but be patient wit her. This has worked for our dogs over the years. Good Luck!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2014, 12:12 AM
    I wouldn't really start spoon feeding, it may lead to a behavior you really don't want.

Her tummy may still be a bit upset. Try a bland diet. Rice and skinless chicken is not only safe for a dog, but is actually far better than most dog food brands out there. It's easy on the stomach and also smells great. After a few days of this diet try adding a bit of her dog food. Keep adding more each day until you're back to just dog food.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2014, 05:15 PM
    If your dog is afraid to eat she may know something isn't right with her food. Try baby food and see if she will eat that. If she eats that and has no problems with it get a new small bag of your regular dog food and try that. If she still won't eat that try another brand that is of good quality. I'd stick to a chicken and rice product myself. You can add a wee bit of baby food and warm water in it at first and stir it up like a gravy.If however, your dog doesn't handle the baby food well, you can take one day to try this... Make some rice using a bit too much water. Give her the excess water from the rice to drink. Boil up some chicken and add it to the rice. Feed her fresh small quantities. If she isn't drinking well, add a bit of cider vinegar to her water. If she eats that and has no problem then boil a bit of hamburger the next day and add that to rice. The third day she should be back to her regular diet... but I would still purchase a small new bag of her regular food and not use her old bag unless she is back to normal and will eat it enthusiastically. If not... throw it out!Most importantly, if your dog has gone 2 days without eating you MUST take her to the vet before the end of the third day. Also, if she isn't drinking enough (or too much) then she should go to the vet immediately. Don't wait for day 3. She could have a kidney issue at the very least and quick identification and treatment can save her life.Best of luck to you and please let us know how she is doing!Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dogs won't eat what do I do [ 2 Answers ]

My dogs won't eat what do I DO I have tried every kind of dry food and mixed it with can food HELP PLEASE

How do I get my 2 dogs to eat something besides chicken? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I get my 2 dogs to ween off boiled chicken.Its gettting so exp to feed them and they put their noses up to dog food all kinds I even tried to soak it in water and the broath fr. The chicken no luck... help me

My dog will not eat his but he will eat other dogs food [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 week yorkie he will not eat his food but if I dump it on the floor he will but he does not eat all of it and it is hard to picup because it sticks to the floor but when I take him to my moms he eats all of her dogs food what should I do

Why ismy dogs afraid of his food bowl? [ 0 Answers ]

My 8 month old lab all of a sudden is afriad of his food bowl he backs away from it refuses to eat... I thought it was the food at first but I put it in a toy and he ate it what do I do??

My Dogs Afraid. [ 6 Answers ]

My family and I have a golden retriever pup who will be 1yrs old in December. Whenever we come back from being away she gets very excited and jumps up on us all.. it takes her ages to clam down. When we bring her for walks she gets scared of the smallest noise or even seeing a cow in a field will...

View more questions Search