Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rebanell1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2014, 02:56 PM
    Taste of tin from canned tomatoes
    I opened a can of crushed tomatoes and added it to my spaghetti sauce and when I tasted it, it had a slight taste of tin. Is this dangerous? Can simmering it for an hour kill anything bad in it?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2014, 03:27 PM
    Was the can date good? Tomatoes are acid and can actually dissolve metal from the cans. I would not eat it since heat does not destroy all bacteria or other toxins.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:05 PM
    The taste of metal in the canned tomatoes does not mean there is anything dangerous to ingest. Just add a pinch sugar to remove this taste. Long gone are the days when you have to worry about canned goods stagnating. There is no dangerous bacteria.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:19 PM
    Providing you used a brand name in a steel can, there should not be a problem. Aluminum has been linked to some neurological disorders, but the dosage is orders of magnitude larger than one can. There should not be any biological danger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new canned lights [ 1 Answers ]

I want to wire 4 canned lites to a new dimmer switch with power from a J box in the celing, how can I do this without burnning my house down and blowing a fuse each time I turn the switch on?

I have a powdery taste in my mouth. Later, it changes to a metallic taste? [ 3 Answers ]

I get a powdery (like baby powder) taste in my mouth. I taste it every time my tongue touches my lips. About an hour later, it changes to a metallic taste and then back to powder. I am female and am not on any medication that could cause this.

Growing tomatoes in pots outside tomatoes turning black [ 2 Answers ]

We have been growing tomatoes in large containers. Now the tomatoes are producing they are turning black on the bottom and also turning red already but very small. Please advise

Canned food or dry? [ 2 Answers ]

would canned food or dried food be better for a maltese x shih tzu? She seems to like both, but I'm just wondering which would be better?

View more questions Search