Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cd268 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Want to add a shower in basement. Already has toilet.
    I want to make my 1/2 bath in the basement into a full bath. The toilet already exists however it is to close to the cement wall to add a 2x4 wall behind it. So, that is going to have to be moved. The sink drains above ground. Is it easy to tie the shower into the toilet line that already exists.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2007, 12:12 PM
    You have me a little confused. What do you mean, " the sink drains above ground. ". Does it drain into a vertical pipe that vents out the roof? If so where does the sink drain connect?: I ask this because if you connect to the toilet line the shower will have to have a separate vent of its own but if you can connect the shower to the vented sink line it will be wet vented.
    Regards, Tom

Apr 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
    The sink I will be able to run into where the laundry tub drains into. I figure the less cement I have to bust up the better. I could run a vent from the shower to that part of the plumbing. It does vent back into the stack already. Since my stack is cast iron. I am going to assume that the plumbing for the toilet is also going to be cast iron. When I tie into it. I can use PVC right?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2007, 03:00 PM
    You tie into the main with a cast iron wye or combination wye and eighth bend and convert to PVC off the branch using a No-Hub band. If the sink drain is close to the shower you may tie into the sink drain and let the shower be wet vented by it. Regards, Tom

Apr 4, 2007, 05:43 AM
    The toilet in the basement is already there and plumbed. Is there a wye already in place? I was thinking I could cut into the line coming from the toilet to the main and reconnect the toilet and shower at the new distances I need them.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cd268
    The toilet in the basement is already there and plumbed. Is there a wye already in place? I was thinking I could cut into the line coming from the toilet to the main and reconnect the toilet and shower at the new distances I need them.
    I keep attempting to tie the shower into a line that will wet vent it. This will save you from having to run a separate vent for the shower. You keep wanting to tie to the toilet drain forcing you to run a separate vent. Is there a reason for this? What about the laundry tub drain? If it's vented could you tie the shower to that line?
    I don't understand the question," Is there a wye already in place?"
    If you're asking if there might be a fitting already cut in that you could tie to I don't think so. If you tie the shower to the toilet line toy will have to roll a fitting up on a 45 degree angle downstream from the shower trap and take the vent off from that. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bathroom or add a shower to existing half bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Of course, I will get someone to come by and get an estimate, but I don't know if I will even be wasting their time. I'd like to get this done under $4000 or so. I also live in a condo, I don't know in general how the average condo association would react to such a thing, but I will soon find out....

Would like to add shower in basement on slab [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, This is my 1st time on with you. I'm an engineer and usually pretty handy with things. I have a ground level basement slab with septic about 4-6 feet lower out in yard. Have an existing slab level toilet with 4" metal waste line going into main waste line. Problem is, main waste...

Basement Toilet Backup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement toilet that overflows when water is drained in one of the upstairs bathroom. The water in the toilet looks completely black and doesn't go down when I attempt to us a plunger. I recently had a drain pipe break in the basement that I repaired and this started occurring almost...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Adding shower and toilet in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a toilet and a shower stall in the basement need to put drain lines in. Need step by step instruct. Doing it myself.

View more questions Search