Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nnjhousing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Condo Association vs my roommate
    I live in an adult condo association in Florida and the other day I received a certified letter stating that I cannot have a roommate unless this person is dispossessed. This roommate is also above the age 55 requirement and I cannot conceive how by law that the condo association can tell me who can live with me. I am seeking some free legal advice on this matter. May I also add that this is a two bedroom unit and it just the two of us that reside there. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
    You need to read your condo bylaws. Very often, especially in a adult community as you describe, the condo association has the right to approve anyone who lives there. So before you do anything you need to read the by laws and determine what powers the assn has.
    nnjhousing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Thank you Scott, yes this helps and I will check into the bylaws further.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Hello nn:

HOA's are worst than Nazi's. Well OK, not worse, but just as bad.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Yes, read your condo bi-laws or just call the management and ask your question. Not all HOA are like Nazi's but some can get carried away. Remember the HO part of HOA is that it consists of home owners and must exist according to the bi-laws. It is unfortunate but many people buy into a condo without understanding the restrictions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowners Association Lien on my property [ 2 Answers ]

I sent the HOA a check in May 2006 for 50% of the annual fees as my house was under contract. I had to leave home to look after my mom for 4+ months. I returned to my Home in November 2006. I applied for a loan in January 2007 to help pay for my mom's Medical expenses, I was told by the lender...

Legalities of a Texas Apartment Association Lease [ 23 Answers ]

Is a TAA (Texas Apartment Association) Lease valid if it is not signed by both parties? The copy of the lease I have that was provided to me by the management copy is not signed by them. Does this void the terms of the contract lease?

Does Forgiveness force association? [ 41 Answers ]

Is a Christian under obligation to associate with an offending person on a friendly basis in order to show that he has forgiven him? Does refusal to associate indicate lack of forgiveness? Or does it all depend on the gravity of the offense?

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Condo Association Membership Denial; Financial Requirements [ 9 Answers ]

I own a $400K condo free and clear in Southern California. The Condo Association's board has refused to accept me as a member because my "taxable net income" is below their stated income requirement. My gross income is far above their requirements, but because I use tax law to lower my tax...

View more questions Search