Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sp1d3r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2014, 05:44 AM
    Convert Garage into kitchen
    I am converting my garage into a bakery/kitchen for my wife's business. There is already electricity running out to the garage with a couple of power points but would this be sufficient to run another cooker and a couple of fridges?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2014, 10:45 AM
    We have no idea as to the wiring capacity of the existing wire. What gauge and breaker size? My initial guess would be no. How many watts does the cooker pull? My guess would be 1300-1500.
    Ella_65 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2014, 02:43 AM
    I think yes, it will be sufficient for other cooker or fridges.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 05:08 AM
    The use of the term "Cooker" Tells me they are in or at least from the UK.

I would not assume any residence in the UK as existing excess capacity built into the wiring. If anything they barely build enough capacity as it is... on NEW constructions... Older structures you can be certain the capacity is insufficient. We here in the USA ( possibly even Canada too)tend to build more capacity into things than we absolutely need so we have room to expand.

I'd recommend having an Electrician physically examine the existing wiring to see what you have now... what its capacities are, and determine how much more you are going to need.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2014, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ella_65 View Post
    I think yes, it will be sufficient for other cooker or fridges.
    How could you possibly know? First, this post is 3 months old. Second, the OP didn't even begin to supply enough information to even guess. Without knowing the capacity of the breakers supplying the area and the draw of the appliances to be used, it is irresponsible to answer the O{'s question. You are new here but we pride ourselves on the accuracy of the advice we give and your answer here is not only inaccurate, but irresponsible.

To the OP, in addition to the wiring issues that you should have a licensed electrician check for you, there may also be zoning laws, prohibiting a commercial enterprise, and there may be other requirements in operating a food preparation business. You need to thoroughly investigate these things before you go to the expense of building. Hopefully, you haven't started construction yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating washer dryer to garage from kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I had a fire in the kitchen and the entire kitchen had to be remodeled. The problem is that a wall or washer dryer heater closet/are/room was removed and the kitchen expanded. The washer and dryer were temporarily removed to the garage, and a hose was attached to the outside...

Convert half of the kitchen and boiler room into a shower and toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I need to convert half of the kitchen and boiler room into a shower and toilet,how can I and how much will it cost

Convert 2 garage doors into one [ 2 Answers ]

This is for my home. My garage door opening is too small, I barely squeeze my car in. I currently have 2 garage doors which I want to convert into one. They are separated by brick (just on the outside, both doors open into one large space. Is it possible to convert the 2 small doors into one large...

Convert Garage into daycare with bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I currently operate an afterschool program in my home. I am using my living room and dining room which are combined. I have a 2 car attached garage which we never use. I would really love to give my family the house back and move the after school to the garage. In the event of doing...

Convert Truss Roof over garage into 'Stick' to use space [ 3 Answers ]

I have a garage with a truss roof (pre-built trusses) and I want to use the space by converting the trusses into 'stick' built. Is this possible? Where could I get info on supporting the roof with Headers to enlarge the space?

View more questions Search