Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonibking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Tenants legal rights
    Hello, I would appreciate any info. My name is Boni, I'm trying to help my sister. She lives in Gainesboro TN. Her husband just left her, and took all her money and went out of state. Apparently eviction notice was given to her spouse but not her. She has 2 kids, She does not have a copy of notice, however one of her neighbors said the landlord gave one to her husband last week before he took off. She has 2 children ans the landloard just had her water turned off. I am not familiar with tn landlord tn laws and process. Her name is in the rental contact as living there but not a signer on the lease. What are her rights? Ant info would be greatly appreciated? Do you kon a good property lawyer in this area?

Boni
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
    A landlord can not legally turn off the water or anything else prior to the actual eviction. However she has no standing as a tenant since she was not a signer. Unfortunately the landlord is only doing what he must, he hasn't done anything to wrong your sister and his rent is owed. The deadbeat husband is the one you need a lawyer for not the landlord. Sorry this has happened to her but she should prepared to move.
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonibking
    Hello, I would appreciate any info. My name is Boni, I'm trying to help my sister. She lives in Gainesboro TN. Her husband just left her, and took all her money and went out of state. Apparently eviction notice was given to her spouse but not her. She has 2 kids, She does not have a copy of notice, however one of her neighbors said the landlord gave one to her husband last week before he took off. She has 2 children ans the landloard just had her water turned off. I am not familiar with tn landlord tn laws and process. Her name is in the rental contact as living there but not a signer on the lease. What are her rights? Ant info would be greatly appreciated? Do you kon a good property lawyer in this area?

Boni
    In certain states, you are considered a resident in a property if you have resided 14 consecutive days in a home. This would be your sister's case. The Landlord cannot turn off the water, lights, heat, air, etc to force her out. Contact your local Legal Aid. They have attys that do pro bono cases to fulfill their yearly hours, they also offer free courses given by attorneys and other services. If to no avail, then contact your TN Bar Association.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
    In TN they can not turn off the utilities ( which is why you always let them get them in their own names, so the power company can disconnect them when they don't pay them.

But sadly unless she comes up with money to pay the rent, they will set her out on the street after they go though the eviction process.

She needs to go to social services and see if she can get any emergany rental payment. ( various renters I get do that from time to time.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Does my ex-boyfriend have any legal rights to my daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any legal rights to my daughters father? He hasn't seen her in 6 years and now he wants to be in her life. She has me her mother her sister and a step father. She only knows her step father as her only father. My fiancé would like to adopt her. Is there anyway he can if were not married...

Tenants rights in foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting a home in Va and the owner did not tell me that he was going into foreclosure I had been contacted by someone asking me to move in 21 days . How long of time do I have before I actually have to move. Also my lease runs out in January. Do I have any rights at all? Thanks for your help

Tenants rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can a mobile home park owner tell a person what color he/she can paint their shed and give them a year to do this or they have to move? And is it legal for this owner to put water meters on each of the trailors and charge the tenants a certain amount for their water without it being in the tenants...

Rental House - Tenants Rights [ 6 Answers ]

I rent a single family house in New Jersey, the owner lives in another town, can she increase my rent any percentage she wants to or is there a law that governs rental increase practices for my type of rental. We are on a month to month lease for the past 18 years never had a written lease ever -...

View more questions Search