Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    braveheart007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 08:14 AM
    What to choose..
    Hy all I know this is strange because I'm asking stranger for advise on subjects but I think you guys might end up knowing me better than most.

I'm an average girl in grade 9 choosing subjects. My favorites are art, hospitality, ie: cooking, history, and bible . Most friends say lawyer is good for me but I always wanted to be a doctor, though my marks have always ben perfectly average. I haven't take math, afrikaans, English and life orientation. I'm going to take history no matter what. My parents think art is waste but I really enjoy it and I'm not terrible. There's tourism art hospitality, accounting, ems, bible, computers, drama, science, geography, biology. I'm kind and loving according to most but I can get bossy though I really love helping people that's why I wanted to become a doctor.

Please share opinions and sorry if this is really weird.....thnx ; D
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2014, 10:12 AM
    Your parents are right about art... I know very, very few people with an art degree that's working in any field remotely related to it.

THere isn't a lot of money in Tourism and hospitality, I know a few people that took that in Europe and none of them could find work in it... and in the USA those are usually some of the lowest paying jobs.

Math is very inportant to most of the higher paying jobs... it is in computers too... but that's another job field that's really not easy to get into these days.

Being a doctor or Lawyer are both very dificult things to study for. You need to have exceptionally good study habits... be very, smart... and able to remember a lot of things easily. Both require college. If you plan on any of those that require college... you want to take classes that best prepare you for college.

Its also very tough to make a decision as important as this at your age... but you do have to start planning.

Nobody can really tell you what's best for you personally because so many things we don't know are important. Plus not everyone has what it takes to be a lawyer, or a doctor...

Its nice to find a job you love... but its not always possible to make a living doing it. What's best if to find something you have the aptitude to do. That's you actually know how to do... and that you can make a fair wage doing.

Many times our dreams have to take second place to the reality of what jobs are available to us where we are able to live.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 10:40 AM
    At your age a healthy balance of your favorites and those that build a good foundation like math, and sciences are the ideal way to go in my mind. It's okay to have things you like (ART), but include more things you need to succeed later (math, science). More future opportunities and options for the future, and just in case you change your mind later. Applying yourself NOW, is the key to a better later.

Feb 11, 2014, 11:34 AM
    Thank you, great reply's... I think ill go for history with I still love maybe even more than art then science, bio and the other four... are there any tips u guys can give me on studying I find it really hard to make myself sit and work but if I start I actually enjoy it and do as much as I can... I also still struggle to find the best studying methods I've tried lots but none seem to really work any different or ones you know to work please suggest. Again Thank You ;D
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 11:46 AM
    Where you study, when, and how, are my own methods, which is quiet, comfortable, and with breaks, 10 minutes for every half hour. Distractions are what get you. Okay some days you have to read the same stuff more than once or twice to retain it, or understand it. Being able to walk away when frustrated or distracted and going back fresh is a valuable tool in studying.

Better to learn a little at a time well, than trying to cram everything for one big day.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2014, 11:49 AM
    As far as best study methods... I can't offer advice on that... I personally had very poor ones... but I was lucky enough to be someone who could literally absorb all the material in class and remember it well enough to get good grades with very little studying. If I had learned good study habits I could have done even better
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 11:53 AM
    Make flash cards and review them daily.

Feb 11, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Thanks!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In love with two man - don't know what to do, who to choose and how to choose? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 30 year old woman and I think that I love two men at the same time and I don't know what to do. About 7 years ago I met man no.1, we had a more or less happy relationship although I have to say that every now and then I had doubts that he is the one I want to spend my life with, and the one...

Which one do I choose [ 4 Answers ]

OK I know I probably sound like a right drama queen, but I have most recently gotten back with my ex girlfriend who for the last year I have claimed that I am in love with and want to marry etc. I am currently in a show and before getting back with my ex I had a thing with someone in it. Last night...

How do I choose [ 35 Answers ]

My girlfriend is 7 months pregnant and I have a 2 yr old daughter from another woman. I have been fighting for custody since before I met my new girlfriend. I now have joint custody and primary residence. Before this I had visitation with my daughter and she lived with her mom but the ministry...

Who to choose? What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of over a year broke up recently. We dated for about one year before he bought a house and we moved in together for about three months. My time at his house was short because I felt like a stranger, invisible and miserable. He was constantly focused on house projects and our...

View more questions Search