Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nadhrah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 07:51 AM
    No longer free radicals in fried food?
    Free radicals can formed in used cooking oil.
    According to article I had read, it is said that free radicals have short half-life.
    It means, it cannot be put into the container for long time or the free radicals would be no longer present in it.

But, I confuse; if so, it would be safe to eat food which had been fried deeply in used cooking oil, right? This is because, there is no longer free radicals content in the fried food, after we let it for hours in container.

If so, is there any alternative to keep the oil to be contain with free radicals? This is because I intent to make research regarding free radicals in reused cooking oil.

I need more explanation regarding this.
    Thank you.
    neodarwinian Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 06:47 PM
    O^2-

That is a free radical. A anion.

H2O

One result of these electron hogs interacting with other elements. Not always this innocuous.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 11, 2014, 07:09 PM
    Spanish researchers found that people whose kitchens contained any type of oil that had been reused many times over were more likely to have high blood pressure than people whose cooking oils were changed more frequently.

A toxin called 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (HNE) forms when cooking oils are reheated and has been associated with increased risks of stroke, Alzheimers, Huntingtons disease and other health problems.

My understanding is that free radicals are formed in the heating of the oil, so half life isn't meaningful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upright Frigidaire Freezer no longer keeps food frozen [ 3 Answers ]

I have an upright Frigidaire freezer. It won't keep foods frozen. How can I eliminate causes of the problem? Can you get freon w/o a license? And are there proper steps to recharging the freezer?

Sorethroat - fried food [ 1 Answers ]

I notice that there seems to be a strong association between certain foods and sorethroat. I found that on many occasions, after I took certain food such as fried stuffs (eg fried chickens), and fruits like durian, I was more prone to get sorethroat. Anyone can comment on this? I don't think we...

Antioxidant breaking down free radicals.reduce antibacterial effect? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the antioxidant action of Quercetin work to break down the reactive nitrogen intermediates i.e. free radicals, which normal exhibit antibacterial activity in the gut, thus resulting in reduction in the antimicrobial effect of acidified nitrates on common gut pathogens??

14 y/o lab no longer eating dog food [ 2 Answers ]

My 14 y/o female lab stopped eating regularly just before Christmas. She would occasionally eat her dry dog food. I began to supplement with whole wheat bread and deli chicken meat. She now refuses to eat any dog food and simply expects to eat "people food." I have an appointment with my...

View more questions Search