Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2014, 05:48 PM
    If I don't get health insurance will I pay a fine?
    If I don't sign up for any health insurance coverage this year will I have to pay a penalty/fine/fee of some sort? Through taxes? If yes then how much is the penalty? My income is <20k/year, I'm single <50 years old and my employer has canceled medical coverage starting this year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2014, 06:21 PM
    Maybe. This site seems to explain it really well:

The Requirement to Buy Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Mar 7, 2014, 11:52 AM
    Which English speaking countries do not require you to buy health insurance
    Which English speaking countries do not require you to buy health insurance?
    How about Canada or American protectorates like Guam or Puerto Rico?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2014, 12:06 PM
    Why are you asking specifically?

Mar 7, 2014, 12:11 PM
    Best/cheapest plan in Ohio that fulfills gov't requirements for employed 48yrOld
    What's the cheapest plan that will fulfill the government requirements for health care? I am employed part-time (~15k/year) in Ohio, 48 years old, non-smoking female, only person in the home and the only person needing coverage.

My employer ended coverage for part time employees in January '14. I was paying about $60 month for medical, dental and eyecare. Is there anything out there that's as low as that?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 12:30 PM
    Ohio Department of Insurance

Mar 10, 2014, 04:50 PM
    Why are you asking specifically?
    I want to know the answer.

Why aren't you answering specifically?
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2014, 05:11 PM
    Because you aren't answering WHY you need to know specifically... as is everyone else that's read this thread. Which thus far is something over 110 people.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 05:17 PM
    If you're a landed immigrant or Candian citizen, in Canada, healthcare is free. The rest, if you really want to know, is available if you put in the time to research. Since you won't specify why you want to know, and it very much sounds like a homework question, I won't do the research for you. I'd suggest doing it yourself.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 08:00 PM
    Sounds like she is thinking that it will be cheaper and easier to move to another country rather than to pay for health insurance.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2014, 08:01 PM
    On a less than $15,000 a year income (less than $20,000 on another post)? How could they afford to?

Speaking as someone who has moved internationaly 4 individual times ( over and back twice). Cheap is one thing it isn't. Even IF they get a VISA to allow it.
    Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 08:33 PM
    The U.S. stands almost entirely alone among developed nations that lack universal health care.
    Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 08:40 PM
    Even the nations without universal health care have heavily government provided health care.

I think if you followed the links provided you may find your premiums will be pretty close to what you pay now, and have more benefits under the Ohio Insurance Exchange.

Mar 23, 2014, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Even the nations without universal health care have heavily government provided health care.

I think if you followed the links provided you may find your premiums will be pretty close to what you pay now, and have more benefits under the Ohio Insurance Exchange.
    Actually the lowest quote I found so far is $263/month. I know the plan I had that was cancelled was a group plan but that's quite a difference!

Also, Thank you for answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you're a landed immigrant or Candian citizen, in Canada, healthcare is free. The rest, if you really want to know, is available if you put in the time to research. Since you won't specify why you want to know, and it very much sounds like a homework question, I won't do the research for you. I'd suggest doing it yourself.
    It is not a homework question and thank you for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Thanks for responding Scott. The site you listed does explain it well and that helps a lot!
    Expert

Mar 23, 2014, 04:46 AM
    Did you factor in the tax subsidies for your income?

Mar 27, 2014, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Did you factor in the tax subsidies for your income?
    No I didn't... Good idea! Um... where can I find that information?
    Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 02:40 PM
    https://www.healthcare.gov/

Please let me know your results. Hope it helps.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Go to the government insurance website for your state and go through the application process. It will give you your options and tell you if you get subsidies and tell you what it will cost exactly. If you cannot afford it, don't finish the transaction. If you have no insurance and are due a tax refund, your refund can be garnished for the penalty you will owe.

We we can't give you exact numbers because we aren you, and we can't do the application in your state, with all the required personal details about your circumstances. Everyone has to do it for themselves.

If you don't know where to log in, call your pharmacy or doctor and ask - they can probably tell you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband can't pay fine [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has DDD. ( Degenitive disk disease, a pinched nerve, etc.) Basically he has only one good disk left. He also needs surgery. But I was wondering a out the letter to which you were speaking of? I can`t work due to Fibromyalgia and back problems as well. He has made numerous payments but...

Will I still have probation if I pay my fine off in court [ 5 Answers ]

Another girl and I were arrested for possession of marijuana under an ounce.. it was way below and ounce and I was wondering when I go to court can I pay off the fine and avoid probation?

Should I pay my friends fine? [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I brought some friends over to my friends room to drink. There was like 10 people there. We stayed there for about 3 hours and then we got caught by the RAs on the floor. There is now a 250 dollar charge because we were drinking in the dorm. He wants me to pay for the bill. And split it...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

View more questions Search