Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    losingdeposit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 12:49 PM
    Wrong down payment on commitment - can it grounds for cancellation
    We applied for a loan with only 5% down , bank sent commitment letter with 8% down & with a different loan product where we have to finance the whole PMI of $10491 instead of paying monthly .

According to sellers we have met the commitment contingency ,

Basically the bank trapped us by sending the commitment but not with the original loan application terms where we have mentioned , we can only put 5% down .

The commitment letter does not really specify all details .

My question is , can we cancel this contract since we don't want to put more than 5% down with out breaching the contract & without losing our deposit money of $18000 ( 5% of purchase price which is in attorney trust fund )

Today is the 10th & last day to cancel according to commitment contingency in contract .
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2014, 01:07 PM
    Without seeing the wording of the contract we can't tell for sure. Don't you have an attorney going over the contracts?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 9, 2014, 01:15 PM
    Did the Contract say that you would be putting down only 5% and financing the balance? If so, and if the commitment states that you must put down 8%, then you have not obtained a mortgage commitment in accordance with the Contract. In my opinion you can cancel the Contract and get a refund of the deposit due to the failure to obtain a mortgage commitment in accordance with the Contract terms. You may end up having to fight this in court, so good luck!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 9, 2014, 01:30 PM
    WHOSE attorney is holding 18,000? Hopefully yours.
    Your lawyer works in your interest. A simple phone calls handles it.
    If you don't have one, spend the next few hours finding one!
    losingdeposit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 02:41 PM
    Wrong down payment on commitment - can it grounds for cancellation

losingdeposit (2 Posts) Asked Today, 07:49 PM — 4 Answers / 28 Views Report
    We applied for a loan with only 5% down , bank sent commitment letter with 8% down & with a different loan product where we have to finance the whole PMI of $10491 instead of paying monthly .

According to sellers we have met the commitment contingency ,

Basically the bank trapped us by sending the commitment but not with the original loan application terms where we have mentioned , we can only put 5% down .

The commitment letter does not really specify all details .

My question is , can we cancel this contract since we don't want to put more than 5% down with out breaching the contract & without losing our deposit money of $18000 ( 5% of purchase price which is in attorney trust fund )

Today is the 10th & last day to cancel according to commitment contingency in contract .

--------------

My attorney is holding the deposit & says I don't have grounds to cancel as long as I have a commitment even if it does not meet the 5% down payment terms according to contract , since it does not mean I am not qualified for the mortgage , today is last day to cancel according to 10 days provision in the contract , also to add , seller has sent a time of essence on 7th ( we are supposed to close on 7th & asked for an extension since commitment came on 3rd) , which means we have close on or before 17th of this month or we are in breach of contract.. my real estate agent is no help since she is a dual agent.. bank has put us in a fix . We are worried we will loose our hard earned deposit money if we don't close in 10 days ,
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 9, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Tell your attorney that you did not qualify for a 95% mortgage commitment and he should start working on your behalf instead of being afraid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Again, it depends on the actual wording of the contract. I would assume your attorney knows the contract and what it says. You can ask the attorney to explain specifically why you have to honor it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Material are the decimal variances from actual payment to billed payment? [ 1 Answers ]

If there is an over or short payment due to variances in decimal places of a billed payment versus the actual payment. What would probably be the treatment? Will the company incur a profit or a loss? Would it be material?

Delta dental insurance sent out payment, but dentist said no payment was received! [ 3 Answers ]

Delta dental insurance said the claim was processed, and a check was sent to my dentist in August. However, my dentist's billing clerk said she did not receive any payment from Delta, she sent me a bill of the full amount plus finance charges in November. What should I do to straighten out this...

Ap payment posted in wrong accounting period. [ 0 Answers ]

If posted the payment for AP in wrong accounting period. Beside reverse the entries via create Debit note (Dr Bank Cr Other Creditors) & create the Credit note (Dr Other Creditors Cr Bank) to offset the Debit note in the correct period. Anyway to do the reclass ?

If a late payment is reported on the wrong month [ 0 Answers ]

What to know can a company report on your credit report the wrong months of began 30 late when you have checks thoses months they put on there

Refuse payment to a wrong chage [ 1 Answers ]

T-Mobil charge me penalty fee for early plan termination. But in fact my plan had already expired before I canceled it (confirmed by 2 T-mobil stores). I ask for proof of contract which has my signature showing the starting date of the plan but they don't have one. How could I refuse to pay for...

View more questions Search