Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leahagnes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 11:59 AM
    My GE gas dryer won't stay on when I release knob
    My dryer is a few months old, and now when I turn the on knob to the right and then release, the dryer stops. Help.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2014, 12:04 PM
    Hi leahagnes and welcome, if you post the make and model number of the dryer you'll likely get a better answer.

Also a dryer that's as new as should be under warranty, check that.

Feb 9, 2014, 01:24 PM
    I bought it used, she said it worked. It is a GE with 5 cycles, model : GTDX200GM1WW. Thank u.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2014, 09:48 PM
    Hi again, so this machine has never worked right for you? If you turn the knob to the right and hold it there does the dryer work? Gets hot and the drum turns? If so it could be as simple as a bad start switch. It can be checked with a volt/ohm meter.

Feb 15, 2014, 09:22 AM
    Part-time... yes, if u keep the knob turned to the right, and don't release, it stays on and works fine. We just replaced the on switch mechanism and it still won't stay on. Next step?
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2014, 02:16 PM
    Hi again leahagnes, did you check the switch with a meter before replacing it? Rarely you get a new part that's bad but check the new one to ensure it's good. The other thing that can cause your problem is a centrifugal switch in the motor.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2014, 03:19 PM
    leahagnes, I meant to post for you to make absolutely sure that there is no lint or dust build up on the motor. The best way to clean the motor in compressed air to blow it out, If your sweeper will reverse and blow use it.

Feb 15, 2014, 03:57 PM
    We checked, there's no lint or build up whatsoever. The dryer is like New, supposedly only used 3 months.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Did you check the start switches with a meter to determine that they are good?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2014, 06:47 AM
    You need to use a meter and trace the safety circuit until you find the safety that is open. It's not that hard to do. Here are some manuals: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Manuals.zip
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf
    Learn to use a meter because guessing does not work. Buy a good digital multimeter at Radio Shack or Home Depot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool gas dryer won't stay lit after 30-45 seconds [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Gas dryer model # LGR7646HQ1. The igniter works and the flame comes on but only burns for about 30-45 seconds than turns off. If I stop the dryer and restart it 15 seconds later it repeats the same cycle of igniting than dying. I checked the exhaust hose, it is clear as is the...

GE gas dryer knob doesn't crank to turn the dryer on. [ 3 Answers ]

I did two loads of laundry today and noticed I had to turn the knob several times before I heard the clicks to selects a setting. The dryer knob turns easy but its not catching to start The setting and turn on please help.

Start button won't stay on - Kenmore Elite gas dryer [ 11 Answers ]

My Kenmore Elite gas dryer model 110.73954102 won't stay "on" when I release the start button. Purchased new 5-28-2003. Has Sears issued a recall or defective part for this model? Serviceman coming soon.

Kenmore 80 series gas dryer door switch won't release. [ 7 Answers ]

Dryer doesn't stop when door is opened. Where is switch?

Amana gas dryer won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

I have an amana model plg8409w2 gas dryer. When I start it it will ignite. After a couple of minutes the flame goes out. A couple of minutes later the igniter will come on but the flame won't ignite. The dryer has worked flawlessly until now. It has been kept clean and all the wire connections...

View more questions Search