Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2014, 09:51 AM
    Can I pursue a title Vll of the civil rights act
    I live in Virginia and filed a charge of retaliation with the EEOC under "title Vll of the civil rights act of 1964." I was fired because I filed a workers Compensation claim in the state of Virginia where I reside. Can I also bring a charge of wrongful termination under Virginia code 65.2-308? Do I have the right to pursue both? Are they brought in different courts of law?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2014, 10:03 AM
    They are different, one is Federal, and if it actually progresses, ( most do not) it will be in Federal Court. The other is State.

Also one deals with retaliation and the other wrongful termination. while they sound similar they are very different.
    one is actual against protected rights, the other is legal reasons for termination.

The Federal, to be honest, do not even try without an attorney, Federal Court is not user friendly and judges have little patience with those without proper legal knowledge.
    They have little patience with attorneys who are not experienced in Federal Law.

Please understand, and I am sure you do. You will need actual evidence. Merely filing for workers comp, and then being fired is not proof. You will need written paper work showing that was the actual reason, or perhaps a employee with that knowledge that will testify.

I will give you example, I testified in a racial discrimination case. I was soon transferred to third shift. Then later fired. Issue, no proof that was the reason.
    The court will not merely link the two together. You have to connect the dots with evidence.

Mar 1, 2014, 09:28 PM
    Can you sue your former employer if he does not release your w-2's?
    I was fired from my job on April 18, 2013. As of tonight my former employer has not sent me my w-2's. I have not had any contact with my former employee because I am involved in several legal matters with him from unemployment benefits, workers compensation to filing a EEOC lawsuit. My lawyer has told me to not have any contact with him. My lawyer has sent a letter to him asking him to send me my w-2's but he has not sent them yet. Can I sue him if he refuses to release my w-2's?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2014, 01:34 AM
    No, you can report him to the IRS.

Was there a change of address ? Would you normally get it online at a employee web page ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2014, 06:18 AM
    No, you can't. If he has not complied with the law to send you W2s by 1/31 he can be fined by the IRS. So I would have your attorney send him a more strongly worded letter stating they will report it ti the IRS if the W2s are not received within a week.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 11:16 AM
    Assuming OP is anxious to file his or her taxes as soon as possible, and assuming OP has some record of the amounts received and withheld during 2013 (pay stubs, etc.), I would file using the best estimate of the income and withholdings. Plan on amending the return later, if necessary.

Mar 7, 2014, 03:15 PM
    Can you get lost wages twice in separate employment legal matters?
    My wife got a Virginia workers compensation lawyer because her former employer would not file her workers compensation claim. My wife had to file it. Long story short her lawyer settled the case for $47,500. In the settlement part of the money was for my wife's "lost wages." Since my wife got her "lost wages" in the Virginia workers compensation settlement can she now file a Virginia code 65.2-308 lawsuit against her former employer for "lost wages" also? Can she get her "lost wages" again since she already got them in the Virginia workers compensation settlement?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 03:24 PM
    I seriously doubt it. I have little doubt the lawyer used this law as a basis for his case and it's already been adjudicated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2014, 05:46 PM
    Actually that would be considered fraud. And with that much money, Felony fraud for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Civil rights [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was charged with attempted rape in Washington when he was 14 years old. He took a plea that he did one week in juvinile dettention center and had to register for 5 years as a sex offender. He is now 35 and in jail for failure to register. He has nothing on his adult record other than...

Civil rights my rights was not read the put me in lock up and then booked me. [ 10 Answers ]

I was arested for domestic and dui did'nt case's but on both I was not told my rights about being slient. I even asked for a lawyer but I was told I was'nt under arrest so I did not need one then they laughed. I blew once but the cop instised on taking me to police station to blow again I...

Civil rights [ 1 Answers ]

If someone attends an arraignment, does not go before the judge, is not read charges, does not get to enter a plea and is just labeled as guilty, is it a violation of rights?

Civil rights? [ 4 Answers ]

Barack Obama administration seeks to change police questioning law The Obama administration is urging the US Supreme Court to overturn a landmark decision that stops police from questioning suspects unless they have a lawyer present. Wow, if Bush had done this it would have been the lead...

Civil rights act of 1964 [ 1 Answers ]

What year did the civil rights act of 1964 happen?

View more questions Search