Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djgiampaolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2014, 07:53 PM
    Does fmla law protect an employee who travels to get home while on fmla
    While on fmla I called into work and used my fmla to take that day off I contacted my supervisior and it was loged in then I got on a company airplain and traveled on my company pass privledges to get back to my home state where I live I was called in the next day and told while on fmla I wasn't aloud to use this travel privilege does the fmla law superseed the company policiey
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 08:50 PM
    There are no proviions that Im aware of that allow you to use company resources while being covered by FMLA. If you were away and you needed to get home because of an emergency then it is up to you. Under normal circumstances there are rules that apply for getting you home if you ere away on company business but once FMLA applies then those rules no longer apply.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2014, 09:30 PM
    While on FMLA you can not be fired. Any insurance you have through work you keep (still the same amount out of you pay). But there are no provisions that I have ever been aware of that requires the company to pay for your travel while on leave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2014, 05:07 AM
    FMLA is just leave, it is non paid and does not allow you to use company benefits.

Also you can not just "call in" it has to be applied for and approved. It is seldom just one day at a time but for long term. ** so that part is confusing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2014, 06:18 AM
    First FMLA is for leave, not days off here and there. So I'm confused by your statement; "While on fmla I called into work and used my fmla to take that day off". If you were on leave why would you need to call in to take a day off?

Second, FMLA requires that the company continue your health coverage and give you your job or equivalent position when you return if you have a qualifying event. It does not require anything more from your employer. So if your employer says that you aren't entitled to use company travel privileges wile on leave, they are entitled to do so. However, that policy needs to be applied to all employees. It should be written into the employee handbook, though that's not necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My FMLA [ 1 Answers ]

I had to add doctor appointments to my current fmla and does this new addition cancle my current fmla?

Fmla [ 9 Answers ]

I was on approved FMLA from his employer and before my time frame was up, they (the employer) called me 7 days before I was due to return to work and fired me. Also, during this time frame I had filed a complaint against the employer for discrimmation with the DOL/EEOC. I now feel that the firing...

Firing sn employee under fmla [ 3 Answers ]

Can an employer fire an employee who is on fmla if the were written up for poor performance

Does FMLA protect me in this situation? [ 20 Answers ]

I have recently been on interviews to switch jobs to a design department with our local newspaper. The interviews have gone well and I am hoping to receive an offer. My problem is that I am currently 20 weeks pregnant, and I am concerened about my maternity leave. I always was told that you do not...

View more questions Search