Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan_B Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2014, 02:54 PM
    Would my depression / loneliness have an effect on my sleeping and my dreams?
    So for a long time now I have felt very depressed and lonely and I saw somewhere that when some people feel lonely or depressed they go to sleep hugging a pillow to cast the illusion of someone else being there. At first I though this was kind of crazy but I went ahead and tried it and it was one of the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. I have been doing this every night now for months and recently I have been saying to myself "I have to stop doing this, it isn't healthy". So last night I didn't use a pillow and 3 times that night I had the same dream. You know the one, where your falling and you don't know why then you wake up and you feel like you actually were falling and you just landed in your bed. I post this because I was wondering, is there any chance this bad nights sleep is a result of me giving up using a pillow to try and suppress my depression / loneliness?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 03:09 PM
    I wonder why you think that sleeping while hugging a pillow, is unhealthy? Where would you get that idea?

Look at children. Most children sleep with a favorite stuffed animal. The main reason parents introduce a stuffed animal is so their kids will have someone to snuggle with at night. It works wonders.

There's no reason that a single adult can't use the same technique to help them sleep. When my husband is on nights I often fall asleep hugging his pillow. It not only helps with my missing him, but it's also really great for my back, and finding the "zone" so that I'm comfortable enough to sleep. Sometimes I sleep with a pillow even when he's in bed with me, because of the physical benefits for me, and not the mental.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Depression, fears, growing up, loneliness... [ 6 Answers ]

I'm really so depressed right now. I actually have been depressed for 4 months or something. I live in a small village, there's nowhere to go, I have no friends to hang out with outside of this village. So I'm like home all the time. This is my last year in school and I'm really scared of the...

How can I shake this constant depression yoyo effect? [ 3 Answers ]

I am fine one day then a wreck another. I get depressed feeling worthless and desperate to disappear. I feel lonely even with people always around. I feel like life is a waste. I wonder what the point of living is at all if we all are promised death in the end.

Need to remember a children's movie about sleeping and dreams [ 1 Answers ]

FRom what I recall, a group of dwarf or gnome like creatures go around and put people to sleep with some sort of dust. However, something happens and they lose their ability to do this. I also remember there is a scene at the end where the characters climb a large staircase into a castle-like...

Loneliness of Depression and anxiety [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi my name is colindove, It is good to be here amongst you all. I have had Clinical Depression and anxiety for 11 years, on and off, yet mainly on. I try to be positive and keep my sense of humour, yet the loneliness is getting to me. It is difficult to make friends, as I am so...

View more questions Search