Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Holding a mortgage
    Hello all, I have a two family in Jersey City and own it free and clear. I would like to if anyone know's the advantages or disadvantages of holding a mortgage. Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Advantage, you get all the interest money ( which you pay tax on of course). And if they don't pay you get to foreclose and re-sell the same house again.

disadvantage, you don't get any large sum of money up front, if you don't get a large enough down payment it is possible in a few years, the new owners could default on the home, leave it in a total mess and you have to spend large sums of money fixing it back up.

If the new owners don't keep homeowners insurance on the property, and there would be a fire, they will most likely default, maybe go bankrupt on the money and you would be out of everything

I am sure there are more, just what pops into my mind as one who buys and sells houses from time to time
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2007, 08:05 AM
    A mortgage is a loan. To hold a mortgage means you are loaning someone money to purchase the property. The disadvantages are the risk you take of defaulting. The advantage is usually only that you can sell it to someone who may not have enough down payment.

Is that what you wanted or are you considered taking out a mortgage on the property?

Apr 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Thank you , it helps but I only consider it if I received a down payment of 25 to30 % and if there is a way to force them to keep insurance, like any mortgage co. would.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2007, 08:53 AM
    You could write it into the contract that they have to maintain insurance. You could also write it in that they have to send tax and insurance payments along with their monthly payments and you will pay the taxes and insurance.

But why would you want to service a loan like this? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Apr 2, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Thank You
    findnsellnotes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 04:13 PM
    This is a way of selling your home these days when banks are not lending. If you find yourself going through with this and want to sell your note that you hold I may be of assistance for you. Yes you right in wanting a large down payment and having concerns about all the things that could go wrong. I work with a group of buyers that look for these notes that have been made and the holder finding that they want to get out for any reason. Most of the time it just that the note holder want a lump sum of money. However keep my email address just in case. [email protected]. Hope the best for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

Holding down the flusher? [ 1 Answers ]

We have to hold down the handle on the toilet to get it to flush all the way and sometimes there are still things left at the bottom. Any idea on what we can do to make it flush without holding the handle, and what can I do about the leftovers? Help please.

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

Holding new kittens [ 3 Answers ]

How long after kittens are born can they be touched or held ? I was told that if they were touched too soon the mother would push them away... true or not?

View more questions Search