Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyblueeyes7141 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Kidney stones?
    HI,
    Just hoping for help with problem my mom is having. She's been experiencing some weird symptoms lately, but her doctor won't give her an appt. for several weeks. But my mom is still worried about what is causing them. THe last week or so she has been having severe "charlie horse" cramps in her legs and feet, but they don't go away in a few minutes as they normally do. She also has been experiencing back pain. She thought maybe the cramps would be lessened if she took a potassium supplement pill, and ever since doing so, urination has been extremely painful for her. She's concerned that she may have kidney stones or something else that could be quite serious if untreated. Since her doctor will not see her or acknowledge that this may be at all serious, I was hoping to get some advice from an expert out there on what could possibly be the cause of her symptoms, and what she should do about them.

Thank you very much for your time!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Doctor
    Hi,
    I don't have any home remedy for this.
    But, in my opinion, after many, many years of doctors, your mom has the wrong doctor!
    I highly suggest her making an appointment with a different doctor. Files can be transferred by her request. If a doctor will not see a patient, then it's time to find a better one. If a doctor has too many patients, and you can't get him/her or a RN on the phone, then it's also time to switch.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 25, 2005, 05:58 PM
    First I would second Fredg's comment. It sounds like she needs another doctor.
    Second, mineral imbalances can cause cramps. Calcium, magnesium, and potasium are important. But the key word is "imbalance". So taking an individual mineral can aggravate the problem if you take the one you already have an excess of. Or cause other problems. Before taking supplements you need to do some studying on the effects and interactions. Or ask someone who has. Note that doctors are not the best source for nutritional information.
    Third, probably the best remedy for cramps is stretching. Particularly as we age and become more sedentary.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tonsil stones [ 15 Answers ]

Hi! I have had tonsil stones for a couple years now. They have only within the past year gotten all too fairly common. I have mastered the art of removing them with a q-tip. But I was wondering if anyone could offer a way to PREVENT them from forming. Thanks!

Gall stones [ 1 Answers ]

Can you pass gall stones? I have had a sharp pain in the lower left side of my stomach, also have heartburn and feel nausea no fever. I passed 2 grayish whitish "stones" and some other nasty stuff.

Rolling stones and super bowl [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much the rolling stones will be paid for super bowl xl?

Bladder Stones [ 4 Answers ]

My Miniature Schnauzer has a bladder stone and is awaiting surgery (I have a popular vet with a tight schedule). I have been unable to reach him today and need to know if there is anything I can give her for pain from the spasms. She weighs 25 pounds. (I KNOW! She likes to eat!) If there is...

Kidney scarring [ 0 Answers ]

My husband has been ill with a bad flu and probably hooping cough. Recently he had blood in his urine and tests are being done. The doctor thinks its possibly a reaction to strong antiobiotics but that's before all tests are done. Today he got back x-rays which show that one kidney is...

View more questions Search