Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aishneru Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2014, 05:59 PM
    Which Bible version should I read?
    I want to know God, but I don't know where to begin.

I've been raised in a roman catholic family, but somehow I don't feel the sincerity at church (reciting memorized words, people who don't even acknowledge each other, icons and statues, etc.).

I've always said that I'll figure out this area of my life after college. It's been two years since I graduated and I am still lost at sea.

I was thinking, maybe I should just start with the bible. However, there are a lot of versions. Which one do I pick?
    freeindede Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2014, 06:46 PM
    You're right--there are a an awful lot of versions to choose from. Every version is either a translation or a paraphrase. None of them is perfect (although some are certainly better than others).

Is there a Christian bookstore in your area? If so, go there and start looking through the Bibles they have. Find one that YOU can READ--a translation, or a paraphrase, that is comfortable for you, that makes sense to you. (Translations that are easier to read might include the New International Version, the New Living Translation, and perhaps the New King James Version. A really nice paraphrase is the Message.)

Some people might tell you you MUST read one version or another--"if the King James Version was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!!!" (keeping in mind that the King James version was published about 1600 years after Christ walked on the earth!).

But from where you are at: The important thing for now is to just start reading. A lot of folks say you should start with the Gospel of John (the 4th book in the New Testament). I'd say start with any of the 4 Gospels. They are the books that talk about Jesus, and His life, death and resurrection. A

And as you read, just start saying "God, if you are there, if this Book is true, then please show me!"

Bless you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 07:39 PM
    Depending on your education level and what you want to do with it. For just a general read, any version that is easy for you to read. You will get a great idea about the bible and will learn the bible stories.

Later if you want a serious study, you will have several versions, with study books and more. I have some in original languages so I can see word meanings. The New Jerusalem bible is very well accepted as having some of the better translations, Of course some people, including me, like the King James, but if you need a easier reading bible, there are several good ones.

A religious path is a never ending journey of learning, what I believe today, is nothing like what I believed, 10 years ago, and completely different from 30 years ago.

You will find people who do not aknowledge each other in every denomination and every religion, when you start losing faith because of another person, you have lost the real issue, that the faith is a personal matter, and what anyone else things or accepts you, is not the issue.

As for as statues, icons and creeds, many groups have them, even the ones that claim they don't, still have some to a point.
    graceyj20 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Feb 6, 2014, 10:00 PM
    Your definitely starting in the right place by going straight to the source, Gods word! Understandably many choose to start with the Gospels but there's also something nice with starting in Genesis since it is the beginning and can help provide context and reference for the scriptures written later.

Finding a bible you can understand it essential to benefiting from your bible reading. I've started using the bible in JW library app & reading on my tablet. Certainly a bit different then reading a book but in addition to being in modern english it also contains 4 other translations so you can see quick side by side comparisons for your review (King James, Kingdom Interlinear, The Bible in Living English and the American Standard Version). It can be helpful if your having trouble with particular passage to quickly see how the other translations rendered it to get a better sense of what's being said.

Enjoy your bible reading!
    Hisdaughter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2014, 02:47 PM
    God says when you seek Him, you will find Him. You have expressed an interest in knowing Him. Pray and ask Him to lead you to Him, ask Him for the Holy Spirit to guide you (which He promised to all that accept His Son Jesus Christ) and I find The Living Bible speaks in language as we speak today so it is easy to relate to and it is translated from the King James Version. I have compared the two and there is nothing changed, it just puts it in plain modern language.

The more you seek God, the closer you will become to Him and the closer He will become to you and it won't be confusing - just let Him lead and ask Him what to read when you open the Bible. He will show you.

I believe Ephesians is a great book to read. But as I mentioned, if you ask God, He will show you what is best to start with. Ask in Jesus' Name and wait for a bit and you will get an answer. We have to be still and wait to hear sometimes.

God bless you for seeking Him and remember God welcomes you and your desire to know Him. He's delighted about it.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 11, 2014, 01:02 PM
    What great answers and also a great question. The accuracy of what you are reading shouldn't be called into question too much... worry more about the ease with which you can read and understand it. Personally I find the King James Version very hard to read and walk away with a solid understanding.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2014, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    What great answers and also a great question. The accuracy of what you are reading shouldn't be called into question too much... worry more about the ease with which you can read and understand it. Personally I find the King James Version very hard to read and walk away with a solid understanding.
    I grew up with the King James and pretty much everything I ever memorized is from it, and I wouldn't recommend it these days if it was the only translation available. Why? Because it's written in a foreign language. Giving a King James to someone who isn't familiar with the Bible is like giving them one written in Martian. It's pretty well incomprehensible in many, many key places.

For getting familiar with the Bible and enjoying the reading, I'd recommend The Message. It's an excellent paraphrase that presents the ideas and spirit of the original, but in a style and form that real people can read and understand.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2014, 06:00 AM
    You should read a Bible that is at the level of english you have attained. Avoid a paraphrase until you have gained a general understanding because a paraphase may change the meaning of some passages. A paraphase is not a litteral translation.
    I suggest you use the Living translation, if you are a little more academic the English Standard. but go to a good Christian Bookstore and look at the various translations. They have been done at different times but there are many newer translations that range from litteral translation; word for word, to conceptual understanding. This is done because some ideas are not directly translatable, they need cultural understanding. The King James was originally intended to be poetic but it was done 500 years ago, the English Standard was done only 20 years ago and so the language is more contemporary
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 10, 2014, 07:10 AM
    Lots of great advice here so far...

As for my own journey, I was raised partially Catholic (Grandma) and more so, Agnostic/Atheist (parents) so it was a mixed bag. My husband was raised by a Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Preacher. He swears by the King James version. For me, that was too much, having no background. I started with the NIV Bible, which is written in more common/layman's terms. Then, I studied it against KJV to help form a better understanding.

I incorporate a lot of meditation/prayer to seek understanding as well. Ultimately, I appreciate the NIV better, but KJV is a nice way to incorporate older text.

You might also consider a study Bible done in chronological order. I LOVE this one:
    The NKJV Chronological Study Bible Hardcover

THOMAS NELSON / 2008 / HARDCOVER
    ISBN: 0718020685

It's a great mix of history, Biblical teachings and even maps, photos/diagrams, etc.
    Good luck on your journey!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Short version: why does my kitchen waste back up into the toilet line. Long version: [ 1 Answers ]

Short version: why does my kitchen waste back up into the toilet line. Long version: I have a half bath next to my kitchen that shares the same drain line, which also is the same line that the washing machine drains and then meets up with the main that goes outside. We just recently had it...

Questions about the bible as I read along [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well and is getting off to a good start with lent. I gave up facebook(cause I was on it waaaay too much) so these next 40 days will be rough, but I will make it! I also am going to try start reading my bible again. I started reading it at the beginning of the...

What translation is the King James version of the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

Trying to figure out the different translations of the Bible, any help, did king james put his seal on the translation as we know it. Who was King James?

View more questions Search